Friday, December 01, 2006

Travel

When I was younger, I never really had the strong desire to travel. While my fellow classmates were ooohing and ahhhing over places like Africa, France, and Spain, I was quite cozy in my small town home, able to walk the streets of my humble city blindfolded and still find my way home. I had no reason to travel really. All of my family lives in Texas, none more than 1 hour away from me on. I had no friends that lived in exotic places, and even if I did, I would probably have convinced myself that it was too much trouble to visit them anyway. The first time I stepped foot on an airplane, I was 18 years old.

As I got older, though, I had more of an itch to go somewhere. Maybe not anywhere out of country, but somewhere—away! The opportunity came when I found out about a camp counselor position in New York at a place called Camp Pontiac. This search was a result of my new-found desire to want to pursue counseling as a career (and eventually led to me getting my Master’s in such a field). I felt like going was the right thing to do, and even though it scared the piss out of me, I was determined to break the roots that held me in one place and experience life for 3 months in a foreign state, all alone. My parents weren’t too keen on the idea (they had the same mentality as me: why travel when there’s no immediate need to?), but after a temper tantrum and some silent treatment, they gave in and I found myself packed and on a plane to New York.

Even though that experience wasn’t the best due to a bad case of bronchitis and homesickness, I did meet some very interesting and fun people, learned a lot about myself as a care-taker and leader, and even had my first real experience with people from Australia, Canada, and England. So, it began.

I started with a thirst for travel to more distant lands, and this thirst could only be satiated with a 13 hour plane ride and some exhausting jet lag. But why and how would I do this? I started making a list of my “Top 5 Places to Visit Before I Die”. They are as follows:

1. England
2. Italy
3. Australia
4. Ireland
5. Scotland

I became very interested in other cultures, and felt like I’d rather live in them for a few weeks than research them to get my information. I was, however, a newly graduated novice in a job that, while rich in experience, didn’t provide me the amount of money that such extravagant travel would necessitate. I was also crawling out of my skin at home and decided that moving out on my own would be Move #1. It seemed as though my plans for world-wide travel would have to be put on hold for, oh, say 50 more years.

Then came Huw. A strange series of events brought us together, and through sheer interest and, dare I say, attraction, we became a force to be reckoned with! Only, as you know, he was in London, and I in the Lone Star State. Honestly, the idea of me visiting over there popped in my head once or twice before we proposed it ourselves, but due to the circumstances under which we met, it seemed more appropriate for him to visit me first. And that’s exactly what he did. However, about 4 months later, I was on my 13 hour plane ride and was able to experience such jet lag that I could literally NOT keep my eyes open on the drive (on the wrong side of the road, mind you) back to Huw’s flat.

My experience in that single two week trip were indescribable. If I never am able to travel again, I will still be happy with the memories I made and things I saw with him. London was intimidating and extremely large, and even though I could never see myself living in such a city, I was overwhelmed by its ability to go from shady in one area, to exhibiting beautifully architecture in another. I loved Picadilly Circus, and that place we walked around when we were attempting to see The Lady in Black (I forgot what was called). The icebar, the Chicken Balls Chinese place, and our Duck Tour were also some of my favorite memories.

But it didn’t end there! Huw was kind enough to take me to Paris for my birthday, where we spent a day touring and eating and site-seeing. Then, if London and Paris weren’t enough, we visited Wales and its beautiful country and sea-side. In Wales, not only did we get to visit some beautiful places like Rhosilli Beach, but I also got to meet some quite enchanting characters (Curly and Tom the Swan).

Traveling through three countries in two weeks was amazing. Tiring, and I complained a lot of sore feet, but amazing. Since then, I have been experiencing that itch to travel again.

Today I found out at my work that they may want to send me to Quebec City, Quebec for a Drug Dependence conference. I would be most inclined to attend this conference because I have always heard that Canada is beautiful. It would be in the summertime (June), so I would be able to experience Canada and not freeze my hoo-haas off. Even though this would be a work-related travel, I really think I could get some good site-seeing in. Any suggestions as to where to go around that area?

Insignificance Conveyed @ 8:40 AM   6 GabbyGabbers

6 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Huw "told me"

It was Covent Garden we were walking around. Maybe we can try our luck another time...

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

It's amazing what's out there isn't it?

I haven't been to Quebec city but if yoy can make it to Montreal, then you're in for a real treat! It's an almost European-looking city and the language difference then makes it feel even more so. The buildings are really nice in the old town and the nightlife is excellent - plenty of places to eat out as well!!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Adz "told me"

Your thoughts on London are the same as mine, and I live there, I do love the place overall though.

Travelling is a real bad bug you can never shift. You are only here once, so enjoy it as best you can! Go to Australia, it's amazing!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Adz "told me"

Your thoughts on London are the same as mine, and I live there, I do love the place overall though.

Travelling is a real bad bug you can never shift. You are only here once, so enjoy it as best you can! Go to Australia, it's amazing!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Adz "told me"

Your thoughts on London are the same as mine, and I live there, I do love the place overall though.

Travelling is a real bad bug you can never shift. You are only here once, so enjoy it as best you can! Go to Australia, it's amazing!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger tpraja "told me"

covers everything related to Entertainment and Nightlife,

such as Nightclubs, Event Photos, Restaurants,Special

Events, Event Tickets, Maps, Photos, Dating, Hotels, Hot

Spots, Event Promoters, Fashion Shows and More! On Hype1

you can plan your night by viewing thousands of

nightclubs, events and restaurants across many cities in

the world. Remember , going out is easy, knowing where, is

not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home