Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Rain, rain

There’s nothing I love more than a very rainy day.

I know this might sound weird, as people usually love bright, sunny, warm days, but not me. Here in the Lone Star State, we have ENOUGH bright, sunny, extremely hot days to last us forever, so a nice, cool rainy day is a rarity here (or so I think). I especially love when it’s like it is now: dark, raining, and me sitting at my desk at work with the blinds to the window next to me wide open. I even keep my office lights off so all that glows is the computer monitor. I can turn my head to the left and stare out my window at the rain coming down, and wish all I want that I was cuddling up with Bella in my apartment, with a blanket wrapped around me with a cup of hot chocolate (or tea, just for Huw).

I think many people would say I appreciate rainy days like this when I’m at work simply because I CAN’T be outside frolicking around and doing “things”. I disagree. I love rainy days whenever I can get them. When Huw was here in December of last year, we had an incredibly mild winter, so our days were close to what his summer days appeared to be. He can attest to the fact that I was complaining about this; I wanted dark, cooler, winterier (it’s a word) weather (although he was enjoying a break from that very weather in Merry Old England). And the craziest thing about this is that I’m a SUMMER girl! I love hot weather and the lake and the beach and wakeboarding and walking around barefoot and all that jazz. But I suppose I’m getting to the age where I would like to see more seasons here. I would love to see the leaves turn all those beautiful colors you’d see somewhere like Boston. Instead, here you see them one day, green and swaying in the breeze on the trees, then the next they’re dead, brown, and crumbling before your eyes on the ground. I would love to know what it was like to properly “bundle up” in December, to wear scarves and buy really bulky sweaters, instead of wearing a t-shirt and taking a sweater in case the nighttime gets chilly. I guess it’s give and take when you live in a place like this.

Anyway, it’s raining. Me likey. That is all.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 6:40 AM   6 GabbyGabbers

6 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Dancinfairy "told me"

Perhaps your next visit to the UK could be in the winter. It is cold and miserable here - you would love it!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger anna "told me"

Oh, I KNOW! It's hard for me to express to people not from Texas how happy I get when the sky is finally grey and overcast. It's like, at last, I'm not forced to be chipper and grin at everyone I meet and reply, "Oh yes, it's a BYOOtiful day." Dang Texas, it's always a byootiful day. Gimme some sadsack weather.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Well, there was a pretty miserable spell when you arrived in May, made all the more noticeable by the Australian duo's hot water hogging. I miss them...

I still have the woolly hat you borrowed in my car, being kept there for your next visit.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Can we trade? Here in Middlesbrough it hasn't stopped for more than 6 hours at a time for about 3 weeks. We could do with some sun. Maybe you guys could bottle up your surplus snad send it over.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger y-vonne "told me"

Hrgh! Give Ottawa a try for a bit. Skiing is nice...if you don't get frostbite. I would take Texas any day.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

Rain is amazing stuff - you can go for walks on the beach or go shopping and no-one else gets in your way! Brilliant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home