Monday, August 07, 2006

Breakin' tha Law, Breakin' tha Law...dah dah dah dah!

So, question:

Is it illegal to stick a letter in someone's mailbox? Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that it is? Did I hear it on the news? Because that means it's true, as opposed to me hearing it on one of those "let's blow up every building in site and man-scream a lot" action movies that I watch...in which case I doubt my sneaking suspicion's validity. Anyone know? Reason being: I have a letter that I want to mail to someone, but I don't want them to know it came from me. I wouldn't have a problem not including a return address, except that I can't afford to have the contents inside the letter be thrown away should the address be flawed for some reason. A return address would give me away as the sender, but simply sticking the letter in the recipient's mailbox would ensure they safely receive the letter. But, I don't want to be mid-stick when the 5-0 shows up and arrests me for mail fraud or something of the sort. Again, anyone know? Illegal? Mail sticking? That's the technical term, by the way. Look it up if you don't believe me.

In other news:


14 ITTY BITTY DAYS UNTIL HUW IS HERE!!!!!!! I'm super excited, and am anxious for him to arrive for obvious reasons, but for the not-so-obvious reason of me getting to spend all this money I'm hoarding until he gets here. I have to save up for those tricks I have up my sleeve...

We have lots to do when he arrives. Last time he visited the Lone Star State, I did a poor job playing "Hostess" (not the cream-filled snack cake, unfortunately) and pretty much kept him to myself as opposed to sharing him with the sites of the city. Boy, did I feel a bit inadequate as hostess when I visited him in London and we did just about everything we could do, in 2 countries, in 2 weeks. I need to step it up. So, I have planned things. Wonderful things. Active things. Things that include actually LEAVING my apartment. Crazy, I know, but after his showmanship in London, I need to equalize.

One of our planned trips is a journey to South Padre Island. Now, my fear is a torrential downpour of rain on the days we are planning to be camped out in a hotel room and lying on the beach. I can remember one time my ex-boyfriend and I drove down for a weekend in SPI, and as soon as we got there, the rain began. When the news stated that they would be shutting down the bridge that separated the island from the rest of civilization in an hour, we had a tough decision to make: wait it out and hope the rain passes but chance getting flooded out, or high-tail it home and chalk this trip up to a loss. We did the latter. So, in a day we drove 10 hours, with only about 3 hours in between trips to "rest" (see: freak out about getting our money back for the hotel we had booked). That was a horrible trip, very disappointing and exhausting, and I hope the same doesn't happen to me and Huw when we go down there. I've been very nervous about this, you see, since we've been going SO FREAKING LONG without any rain, but a glimmer of hope revealed itself in the shape of very large and persistent raindrops yesterday evening. We got a pretty substantial shower, so I'm hoping that we're dry until AFTER Huw leaves. I guess we'll see. But you know, even if we DO get rained out, I wouldn't mind a back-to-back 5 hour roadtrip with him. He's just that great.

So, that's about it. I'm going to a wedding of a former co-worker in Austin this weekend, and have just been informed that one of my best friends found her wedding dress this weekend. I'm incredibly happy for both of them, but damn those wedding bells! So it begins...

Insignificance Conveyed @ 9:38 AM   6 GabbyGabbers

6 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Can I just go on record saying I had no complaints with the days which consisted of not leaving bed until late afternoon. None. The missions can wait.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Get a friend of yours, who they are never likely to meet again, to issue them with the letter in a busy area and then melt into the crowd. You know, like in all those shows where people get subpoena'ed unawares.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

I remember leaving things in my friends' mailboxes when I was in elementary school. . .you know, Christmas gifts and stuff. My mom would drive me to their houses and I'd run out and put cards and/or gifts in their mailboxes. So I say, do it. No harm done.

Talk about "damning those wedding bells". . .try being in seminary where it feels like everyone is freakin' married--and we all live on campus, so I'm surrounded! I'm the anomaly because I'm single. And when a ton of the couples are younger than you. . .yeah, there are times when it gets the best of me.

But I'm so glad you and I have wonderful boyfriends who remind us daily of how lucky we are to have found such love. :) Screw marriage. . .for now. ;)

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Jona "told me"

It can't be illegal to put a letter in a mailbox, can it?! If it is, it's the daftest law I've ever heard of (I'm assuming it's nothing malicious ;o))

And I’m glad you’ve mentioned something definite that Huw is up to, he’s nothing but a bloody tease over at his place!

And whether it rains or not, I'm sure you two will enjoy yourselves :o)

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

I don't know the song you're singing in the title so I've just made up a tune for it, I hope you don't mind?

What's in South Padre Island? Apart from Spring Breakers still trying to find their way home?

Jona - The rumour I heard was that Huw was being deported back to Albania.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

It can't be illegal because if it was mailworkers would break the law hunderds if not thousands of times everyday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home