Thursday, May 11, 2006

Checklist

Because my visit to London is now 2 weeks away (holy crap), I have decided to let all of y'all in on my secret checklist. Okay, so it's not that secret, but I needed to make this post sound mysterious and interesting, seeing as how it's been forever since my last entry.

Ahem.


Things To Do To Prepare for London in May:
  • Track the weather pattern/changes in London and Wales. Because these places are not two-climate countries like Texas is (yes, Texas is its own country) it has varying temperature levels that shift. It's not just "Hot" and "Hotter".

  • Based on the information collected in Bullet 1, plan wardrobe accordingly.

  • Oh crap. I have to figure out what I'm going to wear! This, for me, is a catch 22. You see, I feel like a fool if I pack too much (I never wanted to be one of those girls that had 28 suitcases following her on a trip that was not made for 28 suitcases), but I want to make sure I pack well enough for our travels, weather, and to occasionally look cute for my boyfriend. Gah.

  • Go to local WalMart and stock up on Benadryl for the plane ride there. I've never experienced jet lag before, so I might as well get a head start on getting my sleep patterns in sync on the plane ride over.

  • Whilst at Walmart, purchase cuter pajamas than just a ratty old t-shirt.

  • Must remember passport, must remember passport, must remember passport (etc.)

  • Build up a higher tolerance for alcohol. I hear those Brits and Welshmen can drink.

  • Make sure all work stuff is settled before I go. [bursts out in laughter]...who the hell am I kidding, I've got tunnel vision!

  • Make sure I get to the airport on time. Because I'm sometimes a "girly girl", I decided to make a hair appointment THE DAY that I leave, so that when I get to Britland and see Huw for the first time (other than on a webcam) in over 4 months, I can look halfway decent. However, I'm pushing it with time, as my hair appointments take nearly 3 hours. Must...budget...time...wisely!

  • And finally, make sure I come back. That plane home will be the LAST thing I want to see, so I will need the encouragement from a certain Brit. Else I'll stay where I am for as long as I can.

So, fair people of Blogland, there you have it. My "to-do" list for London in May 2006. The more I check off, the closer I am to being in Britland with my Britman (teehee, Oh, it was funny!). Posts may be lacking up until I leave because, as you can very well see, I have a ton to do.

Suggestions, tips, hints, and general comments for overseas/Britland travel are welcomed and encouraged. So get to it.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 3:15 PM   13 GabbyGabbers

13 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 11:52 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

Ummm...Don't forget your passport?

Hell, just don't forget your tickets!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Laurie in Austin "told me"

Hi there. My boyfriend's been in London for a week and I'm so jealous. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Austin taking finals.

So, in terms of advice, have a great time! And post pictures.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Tim-tambolini "told me"

All's I knows is...if it were me, I wouldn't be returning on the scheduled flight. I love UK accents, I love BBC films, I'd love to be off this continent, I'd love to be in a bran-spankin' new relationship with a strange man from a strange land. Good luck with all that!!!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

Hows about changing some money? From good old solid greenbacks into funny britmoney with the Queens head on everything. Or is the Britboy Huw paying for everything seeing as you have bought this expensive flight? On a personal level, just to say good luck and I hope you like our humble country.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Bring plenty of camera film. And my t-shirt.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Oh, and here is a weather tracking gizmo. Don't think it has an 'F' toggle though. What did we work it out as? Double it and add 30, I think?

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

Oh, Twinny, I'm so excited for you! Seems like yesterday the countdown was at 100 days. . .now look, it's almost here! :)

Love ya lots.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Cleavers "told me"

Have fun hon. I hear the weather over there is pretty good.

Just be grateful you are not going when the world cup is on.....

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

You'll be fine as long as you bring a rain jacket.

And some sun-cream.

And Snow goggles.

And some shorts.

And some thermal socks.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Nic "told me"

OK, because I'm a big nerd, I found out the formula for converting degrees F to C, in case you need it. Hey, you can't say I won't do anything to help a friend. :)

C = (5/9)*(F-32)
C = temperature in degrees Celsius
F = temperature in degrees Fahrenheit

(courtesy of www.condoconcepts.com/convers.htm)

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

I love that "build a higher tolerance for alcohol" is something you plan to work on in the coming days. Here are some helpsul tips I saw on the Today Show:

Eat your Frosted Flakes with milk? Next time, use whiskey instead!

Everytime you cuss, take a shot. This will help you kill 2 birds!

When you go out and order a milkshake, substitute it with a tequilashake!

Reduce the size of your morning cup of coffee by 1/3, and make up the difference with vodka (Grey Goose if possible; the key word here is purity!)

Always carry a flask on you so you can practice in your spare time.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Laura "told me"

You're going to Anglesey right? Take an umbrella. As a north Wales native, I can assure you that the pesky Irish sea does wonders with the precipitation levels. Can't believe you guys are going to be in Anglesey - that will be so weird. Bloggers! Near me! Weird. I got a couple of photos taken from a beach in Anglesey on my bloggage if you want to have gander - should be in January, I think. Maybe February.

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Don't worry about what the weather will be like when you get here. It's sunny in Middlesbrough nad London has better weather than we do because it's closer to thge equator, so if it's good here, it'll be good there.

On the alcohol, avoid stella artois. This is falling down after 2 or 3 pints kinda stuff.
I suggest Carling for lager or Strongbow if cider's more your thing.

But most importantly, enjoy it. And bring a camera. London's got loads of stuff you'll wanna remember

 

Post a Comment

<< Home