Thursday, April 13, 2006

I Blame It On My Boyfriend*

I made my very first impulse buy. I got a new computer.

I don't even want to go into the frustration and confusion that went along with the purchase, but let's just say the day this one dies, I'm leaving it up to someone else to get me a new one.

I know many of you could hands-down admit "I couldn't live without a computer in my home", and I understand that. I, however, used to be quite the opposite. Sure, I liked to check my email and do an occasional surfing**, but other than that, I was happy watching a movie or playing with my doggie.

That is, of course, until I met Huw.

My main form of communication with him is via the Internet. We chat and get to see each other everday through webcams--we can even talk for free because of our (sometimes stubborn and feedback-producing) microphones. So, when my last computer called it quits ever so abruptly, I was at a loss***. How do I adjust from waking up and going to sleep with him there everyday, to semi-planned phone calls**** at my work desk, where I have to walk that fine line of letting him know I'm absolutely crazy about him and still maintaining professionalism? After about a week, I couldn't take it anymore, so I sucked it up, went to a store that I'm sure ripped me off, and bought a ridiculously expensive crappy computer that will probably break in a year anyway. And it was one hundred percent worth it. In fact, I would have paid double if it meant I could go back to seeing and talking to him every day and night.

So, what I told y'all before is no longer true. Uncle Sam isn't paying for my trip to London in May; instead, he's footing the bill for my new facking computer.

What was your biggest impulse buy?

Oh, and Happy Easter to all!


* Not really.
**I got bored after 10 minutes. Really, what's there to surf?
***Fantastically huge understatement
****Which, for the record, I loved.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 9:17 PM   14 GabbyGabbers

14 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 7:06 AM, Blogger Leslie "told me"

This isn't an extravagant buy, but during college I bought a bowl of scented rocks from a kiosk in the mall. Actually, the rocks weren't scented, they were just colorful, but they came with a little bottle o' scent that you poured on them. I chose "Uncommon Scent."

Looking back, I don't know what the hell drove me to buy those damn rocks. And Ethan was there, too! He encouraged it. Crazy.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

So now, Babe, you are walking to London?

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Yes, Hoss...it will take me 40 days and 40 nights to get there. Odd timing, wouldn't you say?

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Tim-tambolini "told me"

I have several impulse buys. My quad, my house, my Jeep, my laptop...pick any of those. There was really no plan or thought to it, I just made the purchases. And I continue to function in this matter because, afterall, what is a little debt to get the things that I want and enjoy, right?!

I'm surprised you took this long to get a computer. I wouldn't last a week.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Cleavers "told me"

Yay for new computers. Yay for communicating with England again. Just generally yay!

I couldn't even begin to start listing my biggest impulse purchases. 'Impulse Purchase' is my middle name. Just ask my bank manager back in the UK; I'm sure he shakes his head in despair whenever he thinks about me and is very glad I'm no longer in the country.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

I think it takes impulse to buy anything expensive. Typically if I think about it for too long, I end up not buying it.

Question: Do you suppose rich people ever think, "I really shouldn't of spent money on that" when they buy something really expensive? Or is just us poor, grad-school types?

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

I was happy watching a movie or playing with my doggie before I met Huw too.

Now I won't go near canines or DVD's ever again. *shivers*

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

I lack the balls to make impulse purchases. Usually, if I see something I want, I will 'stalk' it for a few days (or even weeks): returning to the shop to inspect it a few times, but waiting... waiting... to make my move. If nothing untoward occurs to either me or the item in that timeframe, I will pounce!

One time, after a night on the beer, I found myself in a curry house, and ordered the largest and most expensive platter of food: about $40 of curry and curry-related grub. Naturally, the next day I had no memory of any of it - save for a spicy aftertaste and chapped lips - but people present report that I looked like I was enjoying it.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Thomas "told me"

I could blame it on my boyfriend but that is not how I roll.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

Biggest impulse buy...would be the bloody expensive, horrid house I live in.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

My biggest impulse buy was the day I got my first pay check for over £600. I'd never had that much before and bought a playstation 2, some cheap games, accessories and then spent £50 on a booster box of vs. system, one of the card games I play.

Then I ran out of cash as I forgot about my £250 daily withdrawal limit and had to hitch a lift o work because I literally didn't have the bus fare to get there and my local cash point was out of order.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

I'm with Huw on this one. Nervously tiptoing around my 'impulse' buy until I work up the courage and then am consumed with regret and remorse for at least two weeks before realising that it hasn't hurt my bank balance that much

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Buyer's remorse. A feeling I know only too well

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger y-vonne "told me"

impulse, eh? (had to get the Canadianism in there). I, like some others, prefer to stalk my purchases, then I chart out my ability to pay for them, then I stumble some more questionning whether I really need it... then I give in and just by the damn box of tissues :-). A computer isn't frivolous though - my laptop is the 3rd computer in my place and gets used on a daily basis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home