Monday, February 27, 2006

Packed Up, Goin' on a Guilt Trip

Only I could do this.

How have I managed to guilt myself into becoming a "bad blogging buddy". Okay, so aside from the frivolous alliteration I manage at 11:45 PM, I really am starting to worry about my ratio of "Other thoughts" to "Blogging thoughts", and their implications of just how many man hours I've contributed to this time consuming yet completely gratifying past-time.

Basically, friends, what I am rambling on about is this: The time we have all dreaded is nigh. Whisper it with me: ...real life has finally caught up with me. I am bombarded with tasks at work, each one trumping the other, yet all immediate and all directly indicating imminent doom and ultimately resulting in paralyzing self-doubt*. Let the party begin.

Despite my heightened stress level, do you know what my ruminations consist of?

"Oh, crap! I didn't get a chance to peruse Mr. Hoss' blog today! I bet I missed out on a funny joke or crazy story. And what if he sees that I wasn't by to comment! After all he's shared with me about Vick's...he's going to think me ungrateful!"

"I hate that I can't read what canofworms has to say today. Hers has decidedly become my favorite blog. And on a day when I need a good laugh too..."

"My pals at Swankytown must think I've hung up my proverbial Counsilwoman Button and resigned from Counsil Chair of the Mighty Fine Town of Swank. Will I lose their votes next year?"

"And what of my Brit pals? And Mr. Curly with all his amazing adventures? Will I not be able to catch up with our man in the colonies today? And Cleavers...oh, Cleavers. Always a fun time at her place!"

"Will I lose my newly acquired readers because they suddenly find my blog boring and out of date? I promise, were this not [busy work season] time, I'd be much more up for entertaining guests!"

"I bet I'm missing out on so many pearls of motherly wisdom from Jona!"

"Thank goodness Huw's on hiatus for a bit!"

...and so on. Clearly, you are all a healthy part of the balanced breakfast I call "Of Insignificant Importance". My neuroticism won't let me get past the idea that, no, of course I won't lose my regular (ahem: LOYAL) readers due to consistently intermittent posting (is that an oxymoron?).

Surely I can take comfort in the fact that everyone understands what a busy spell is like!
(see: HolyCrapHowAmIGoingToGetAllThisShitDoneInTwoDaysOhAnd
[breathe]
Don'tForgetThatCompletelyUnnecessaryMeetingI'mBeingSentTo
[breathe]
ThatHasNothingToDoWithMyJobDescription
[breathe]
AndWillPutMeEvenFURTHERBehindDidIRemeberToPutOnDeoderantToday?)

Of course you know what it's like. Right? I said, am I right*? Throw me a bone people, I feel like I'm succumbing to the evils of stress.

Sidenote: If you are a new reader, every single link in this blog will take you to positively, hands-down one of the BEST blogs you'll ever read. Trust me.


*Thank you, Seth Cohen.
*Thank you, Charlie Brown.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 9:41 PM   15 GabbyGabbers

15 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 1:18 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Don't worry about losing blog readers, Lanette.

If I worried about intermittant blog updating, I'd have closed my blog at christmas when 4 posts in a row recieved no comments. Not one.

You really rate my blog as amongst the best? Wow! You do realise it's jst the ramblings of a madman right?

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger chrissie "told me"

Don't worry about losing readers. I am subscribed to you through Bloglines, which tells me every time you've updated.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Cleavers "told me"

You are way, way too kind my dear. I'll keep returning, don't you worry! :-)

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

I'm not a doctor yet.

But if it will help, I can bring you some valium. I know a guy.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

Twinny, very clever way to post this! Love the linkage.

I won't be quitting your blog anytime soon. . .you ARE my twin, after all.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

I don't mind intermittent posters, as in truth I have weeks when I'm an intermittent reader (damn that real life intrusion!), and anyway, you can’t get rid of me that easily ;o)

You're too kind saying such things as 'pearls of motherly wisdom' though, as it feels more like I'm dragging my life along by my fingernails! But thank you, you've made my day :o)

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

It ain't life or death, kid. It only takes about 5 seconds to find you don't have anything new. Big deal I should lose 5 seconds out of my life.

Do what you HAVE to first, then do what you LIKE to do. Okay?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger ian006 "told me"

someday i'll make the list...

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

thanks for the link! As you can see I've returned the favour. I have to say I've been enjoying your musings for a while. I'll keep coming back even if I have to wait for a while sometimes. I'm hardly the most prolific myself.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

Oh, and with usual piss poor timing I changed my address just after you linked me. Our Man in the Colonies can now be found at http://acrazyscheme.blogspot.com/
Did a bit of spring cleaning and decided having my surname in the address wasn't the cleverest of ideas.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Leslie "told me"

84 days is not that long. Think of it this way: Crayloa's largest box holds 96 crayons. That's 12 more crayons than days until you see your man. That's something.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

I managed to get 'of' in "The Mighty Town of Swank." In Ancient Greek, that makes me the genitive of Swank.

No, I didn't say genitals of Swank, though...

And don't worry, I'll fix the ballot box for you if any other Swankytonians decide to oust you. I have that power. I'm the Capn.

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

I just remembered that some of the ones linked to mine haven't been update in months.

Literally.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

I can't BELIEVE you didn't read my blog five timess over and leave a witty comment yesterday?

I HATE you!

*slams door on the way out*

*Can still hear me stamping up the stairs*

*Screams "I HATE YOU" again from bedroom but just sounds pathetic*

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Chris Cope "told me"

Totally unrelated: Happy Texas Independence Day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home