Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Have Nothing Witty to Put Here.

I have lost every single creative fiber in my body. And trust me, there weren’t that many to begin with. Most of my comments on all of your blogs are along the lines of “Hope you feel better!” and “That sucks!” and “Wow, that’s cool” and other such unoriginal, lame (but seriously, heartfelt) phrases.

I’m just NOT one of those people that can leave a really witty, observant, or punny comment on other peoples’ blogs. Unlike HIM. But, I suppose one of us had to have the smarts in the relationship, eh?

So, here’s what my life boils down to as of now:

I’m incredibly stressed out at work, but at the same time, I feel like I’m really digging my heels into my position here. I’m starting to learn more about the ins and out of this business, and acting like a grown-up, full-fledged, professional woman can be a really good feeling. You know, in between all the cussing.

Nic is leaving the city on February 26th to pursue other opportunities (see: be with the guy she really loves but won’t admit she loves just yet, even though we all tease her about it). We had to have a “talk” today to clear the air between our recent interaction—or lack thereof. Honestly, when I know someone is going to leave me, or there’s the chance that I will lose them, I back out first. That way, I’m more prepared (or so I think). I started doing that with her, which she interpreted as me being angry with her. I’m not upset with her, just the situation. It’s taken me a very, very long time to find another girl best friend, and just when I do and get settled into the comfy armchair that is Girl BestFriendDom, she leaves. It’s hard, and I’m sad. The end.

On a happier note, I got the most beautiful vase of roses and lilies delivered to my work yesterday morning*. Now, Valentine’s Day is a holiday I usually hate, and not for the reasons of “I was always alone” or “I was bitter and scored just before the day”…but for a completely unrelated reason that I would rather not disclose. But, instead of it being a day I dread so very much as per the past 6 years, my wonderful boyfriend made sure it was as happy and love-filled as possible. See, if this “thing” hadn’t happened, I would still be the sappy romantic girl who URGED Valentine’s Day to come forth and shower me with Russell Stovers Chocolates and long stem red roses and lilies, as well as sweet, meaningful cards. I think, and this is a very bold but true statement, that I can finally look at my future Valentine’s Days as something happy and positive, not sad and hurtful, as long as I have Huw in my life. So, a big THANK YOU to him for making that day the best it could possibly be.

I think that’s it for now. Frankly, I’m tired and don’t feel like thinking of anything else to write. Posts may be few and far between in the immediate future, because, well, I’m drained. But I’ll be reading yours, so write something good, dammit.


*My flowers were the prettiest in the whole office. And I work with ALL women, most of whom have boyfriends, fiancés, or husbands. My boyfriend knows how to do Valentine’s Day right!

Insignificance Conveyed @ 11:08 AM   14 GabbyGabbers

14 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Jona "told me"

Lol, I actually left the comment 'Wow' on someones blog today! I'll have you know there's nothing wrong with short heartfelt comments! And I always like the ones you leave me :o)

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Huw "told me"

*drums fingers whilst thinking of a really witty, observant, or punny comment to leave*

*sneaks out, hoping to have remained unseen, muttering something about having forgotten the Russell Stovers Chocolates*

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

It is hackneyed, stale, trite, a cliche, but nonetheless it is true: "There are more pebbles on the beach." So you will find a new best friend, kid. Trust me.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Tim-tambolini "told me"

About the best friend, sorry to hear that. I partially disagree with oldhorse. For men, it's easier to find a new best friend. Perhaps because we are far more choosy and particular, women find it difficult to find other women who are 'best friend' quality. Am I right?

Huw is a good find, me thinks! I'm happy that he has made your future Valentine's Days something to look forward to. (even if he did forget the chocolates)

Can you enlighten me on what you do for a living, or is that too personal?

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

Hey TwinnyTwinTwin! I'm not a witty-comment-leaver, either. . .maybe that's why we're twins? Hmmm!

Sad that Nicole is leaving. :( That's SUCH a bummer.

Lots of love to you, girl. I'm sending you a hug from A-town to SA-town! :)

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Afe "told me"

You don't gotta be witty, you just gotta be yourself. Unless you are a secret agent.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Yeah losing friends sucks. I'm still getting over the way 2 of my best friends, Matt and Mitch left to move back to their native Canada. We had a sleepover at their nana's the night before they left. My last words to Matt at 4am that morning were: "Wake me up so I can say goodbye properly when you have to leave if I'm not up". By the time I got up at 9am, he'd already left. At least Mitch stayed for a proper goodbye hug.

Anyway, did an of those stress relief tips work?

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

What colour were the Roses?

What colour were the Lilies?


Err... What colour is your office?

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Jona--Glad to know my generic (but again, heartfelt) comments are appreciated somewhere!

Huw--Everything was just perfect, you didn't forget anything!

Mr. Hoss--Thank you so much.

T2--It's hard for ME in particular to find good girl friend because well, I can't stand girls. And I'd rather not say exactly what it is I do, but in general, we work with grant-funded projects. I don't want to get duced.

Twinny--Thanks, I needed that.

Afe--So, if I *am* a secret agent, I'm in trouble, eh?

S2--That's sad! I'm not good with goodbyes, so I'll have to force myself to get ONE hug!

Curly--The roses were red, the lilies were whitish pink, and my office is the color of drab with a hint of blah.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Dancinfairy "told me"

I too have boringcommentitis.

And I know how hard it can be to find a girl that is worthy of being a best friend. Most of my friends are male, they are so much easier to get on with. Women can be complete pains in the arse. I hope you find someone soon.

I'm glad Huw made your Valentines a happy one :o)

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

I used to be a witty comment leaver...

Then this guy stole my thunder! So now I don't even try anymore.

And don't bother reading my blog. It's not very good.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Léonie "told me"

Women can be pains, but so can men.

I find that I have really different relationships with female friends and male friends, obviously depending on the individual as well, though.

I can completely understand the sadness of 'losing' a close female friend because it does seem rarer and more special when you find a real bond with another girl.

I hope you're feeling a bit better...

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Cleavers "told me"

I can empathise. Two of my best girl friends are moving in September - one, ironically enough, to the UK. I've not known them that long but I'm already dreading the fact that they won't be here.

Part of growing up I guess. Still sucks.

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

Okay L, time for some threats from me if you don't post soon.

Although all I'll really be able to do is chuck mud at you or something, us Welsh are not very technologically advanced.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home