Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The O.C. (Obsessed and Crazy)

I recently made one of the best purchases of my life that has doomed me for good. “How so?” you ask. Well, here’s how:

Two Sundays ago, the Best Buy circular in the S.A. Express News was advertising a product I love at a price too good to be true. The O.C. Seasons 1 and 2 were on sale for $37.99 each, when they are regularly priced at $58.99 each. It was a steal, and I would have been crazy to not drive directly to Best Buy and purchase this little piece of Heaven I’ve had my eye on for a while.

So, even though I was sick and sniffly, I trudged my way to my local Best Buy on that dreary day and made the $82 buy, regretting the large purchase but at the same time, justifying it as “something to do on the weekends when I’m poor”. I put in Disc 1 of Season 1 when I got home, and have never looked back.

Last night, I finished Season 1. Seriously, in a smidge over 2 weeks, I flew through 27 episodes, sometimes watching 4-6 hours continuously. Some might say I’m obsessed. I would have provided some sort of rebuttal to those accusations, but then I found myself constantly dreaming of love trysts with Seth Cohen (played by Adam Brody) and shopping with Marissa Cooper (played by Misha Barton). Ryan Atwood (Ben Mackenzie) was supposed to be my boyfriend, but my overpowering romantic realization for Seth Cohen forced me to succumb to sneaky acts and guilt-ridden ploys. Eventually, though, I got Seth Cohen. And then I woke up.


I’m not going to lie and say I didn’t wake up sad and depressed because it was just a dream. But, my melancholy soon subsided when I realized that I have, in my own little way, found my very own Seth Cohen. Although he’s British. And not Jewish. And has lighter hair and is a bit older (than the character, but probably not the actor). But he’s got the quick wit, the romantic ways, and the hilarity of the television character I have grown to love (as much as you can love a t.v. character, I suppose). So, I lay to rest my vow that Adam Brody will be my future husband, and become even more thankful that I’ve found someone real that gives me all the charming qualities of the Seth Cohen character*.

However, if I blow through Season 2 like I did Season 1, I will be going through O.C. withdrawals and will need another fix of some other show. So, my next Box Set purchase will be The Office (BBC version), which is another set I have wanted for a very long time. But considering any spare change I accumulate from now until May 26th will go to the “London in May” fund, looks like I’ll have to stretch out The O.C. Season 2 for as long as humanly possible. Will. Be. So. Hard.

Good grief, I watch WAY too much t.v. And even after that statement, I will shamefully ask you, dear readers, for suggestions of any more box sets to add to my list that you think could be of interest to a television junkie like me.


*Although he strongly dislikes being “compared” to other guys, even fictional ones.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 8:22 AM   15 GabbyGabbers

15 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

Aaaah! I used to be obsessed with the O.C. . .but I've been away from it for awhile due to my evening schedule taking me away from the TV. Anyway, I heart Adam Brody, too. . .dang he's just too cute.

I just rented Season 1 of Sex and the City, which is a show I was kinda against when it first came out. . .I guess the title made me think it'd be trash. But lo and behold, I've been watching it this week and find myself enjoying it. . .a lot. My sister's really into the Gilmore Girls set, and 24 is an awesome show, too! Just some suggestions. . .

Talk to you later on today or tomorrow or sometime!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger trishy "told me"

I have the TV Box set obsession...and it's an illness, I tell you.

Rich just finished off my Friends collection so I now have seasons 1-10...every freakin' episode ever made.

I'm well into Will & Grace. And I've just started Sex in the City, although I only own season 1 so far.

Something about these...not only do I want to watch them, but I want to cling to them somehow. Just in case syndication doesn't last forever (which if Full House is any indication, it DOES last forever) but just in case, I want them around years from now! I'll totally bore my children with "Mommy's old TV shows" and they'll roll their eyes and I'll be such an uncool Mom.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

I agree, Trick-or-Trishy. I forgot to mention Will & Grace, too. Oh, how I LOVE that show!

I've decided that I must get the Full House DVDs. And Saved by the Bell, too. It might take some searching, but I'm going to get them somehow, some way.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

I'm the only person I know who doesn't get obsessed over TV shows. Strange, considering I obsess over everything else, including shampoos.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Tim-tambolini "told me"

I can't even read the other comments ahead of mine because I'm so excited to tell you that you need to get "That 70's Show" or "3rd Rock from the Sun". I would suggest "Sex and the City", but I'm thinking you might be a tad too young to appreciate it. However, "Sex and the City" is a show I watch like an obsessed person too. I LOVE IT!!! Makes me want to move to New York City and live the single life like the main characters. I'm definately more like Myranda than the other characters, but there still may be a small dash of Carrie and the smallest dash of Samantha (more-so in mind than in action). Anyway, don't feel crazy about watching your fave show! Oh, I also have Season 1-3 of "Northern Exposure" and hoping to collect every season of "The Muppet Show" sometime down the road. Oh, yeah, I also have Season 1&2 of Seinfeld. Wow, I watch a lot of TV too, it would seem. LOL

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger kate "told me"

arrested development!!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

If you are going to save your money, become a bird watcher. They don't mind, and it's free.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Let a little anarchy into your life - get The Young Ones.

That's my tip.

Ooo... and Hoss? Don't get me started on them bastard squirrels...

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

I've been watching the awesome 'Deadwood' for the past few weeks on DVD and have been utterly blown away by it, although it might well be too intense and sweary right after the OC. Other suggestions include Blackadder, silly but hilarious British humour

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Léonie "told me"

Oh yes, Blackadder!

The OC makes me feel fat and poor, with bad hair. It also makes me feel well-adjusted, though.

'Spaced' is good - not sure you have it over there. It's very, very funny...

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Thanks, everybody! I'm most excited to check out the British humor shows (and do some bird watching).

Huw--the damn squirrels are back, even AFTER they broke the birdfeeder. Oh, and since when did you learn to put a link in a comment? Yay for you!

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Cleavers "told me"

Don't get me started on DVD box sets. My roommate is still in awe/shock/horror (delete as appropriate) that I managed to watch 12 episodes of Alias Season 2 in one sitting.

Caught me a bit of Fawlty Towers last night. That's one you should be trying for true British xenophobic, snobbish non-pc humour. It's what we are all about really.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Black Adder is a good one. My only two obsessions so far have been:

the Sopranos (which was very short-lived and came to a screeching halt after I'd seen 2 seasons. They started to go in weird artsy directions)

The West Wing. I love this one. I'm freakin hooked, 3 seasons in. Not particularly funny though.

I wish they'd release old Jeopardy! episodes on DVD. That'd give me my nerd fix...

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Leslie "told me"

Ok here it is:

For guilt-free, quality viewing go with Six Feet Under: Hands down, the best television ever. Great writing, great acting, beautiful shots. I don't recommend buying the boxed sets, because they'll set you back hundreds, but you can rent them at your local Blockbuster.

For guilty-pleasure television viewing go with Veronica Mars. Buy Season 1 and don't look back.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Jona "told me"

The BH borrowed the Firefly series and that was entertaining, and I agree with Tim-tam over Northern Exposure - excellent series! Blackadder is also something you can watch over and over.

I prefer to watch TV series in one go, for hours on end :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home