Monday, January 30, 2006

London, Baby*

Guess who’s going to London in May? Guess. I’ll give you a hint.

I am.

That’s right, friends, I finally broke down and broke in my new credit card. The card that was supposed to be used “for emergencies only” now has a pretty large balance on it. Scary as that may be, it’s so incredibly worth it.

I will be going from May 26th to June 10th to visit my Brit Boyfriend and spend the better part of 2 whole weeks cuddling up to him and making up for lost time. In addition to that, we are looking to tour London, Wales, and Ireland. Let the planning begin.

In order to make the time fly by as much as possible, we have decided to initiate our Countdown to London on February 1st. This way, we can gauge not only by months, but by days as well, pretty easily. On February first, it will be 114 days. Although, I’m sure we’ll adopt some exceptions to that countdown, like we did when he was coming here in December. We didn’t count Christmas or Christmas Eve because we knew those days would be too busy to wallow in our anxiousness of seeing one another. So, the only thing I can think of that will allow such an exception to Countdown to London is my birthday. I wanted to be IN London for my actual birthday, but spreading my trip out from the end of May to the beginning of June allowed me one extra personal day (we get them quarterly) and one extra vacation day (we get one monthly) to spend with my darling. So, I opted for a belated birthday in London for 2 more days Huw.

I actually don’t think it’s hit me yet, the fact that in (almost) 114 days, I will be stepping off an airplane and into a new country (moreover, into the arms of someone I have missed more than anything). I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m excited as all get out. But I casually tell people, “Yeah, I’m going to visit my boyfriend in London in May” instead of shouting out incoherent half-sentences about London and the Irish and the Eye. I think, when April starts, I will be getting more nervous and more excited.

Huw and I talk every night about some aspect of our trip. Whether it’s conversation about how nervous I am to meet his parents or how romantic it will be to stand on Waterloo bridge at night and share a loving kiss (ew, I know, but I love him)…simply envisioning being there with him – well, I think it will be enough to get me through these next 4 months. Being away from him is the hardest thing.

So, although I’m freaking out about how I’m going to pay off my credit card (a hundred dollars at a time, and the interest won’t kill me, right?) and the fact that my mom is scared to death about me traveling, OH, and let’s not forget the fact that, the more I fly, the more scared of it I become…well, despite all those things, I think this is the wisest and best purchase I’ve ever made.

I’ll be sure to keep y’all posted as the plans unfold. Curly, although I know that you’ll probably meet Huw this Wednesday, get your drinking glass ready for me in May; I can’t wait for all of us to hang out!


*A "Friends" reference, for those of you who didn't know. And shame on you for that.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 1:48 PM   12 GabbyGabbers

12 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 2:17 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

Listen, don't worry about the flight. Look at it this way: If it were dangerous, would the pilot be going?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger trishy "told me"

London baby! Have a bloody mary on the plane to take the edge off! We're counting down with you!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

Woo hoo! You're gonna have so much fuuuuun!!

I'm the same way with flying--I always get a bit nervous, regardless of how often I go. My dad's a freakin' pilot and I still hate it. I guess I didn't inherit the love for the clouds that runs in my fam. Anyway, sleep is good on planes. And you'll have the opportunity for lots of it, though I doubt you'll be calm enough considering who will be waiting for you at the airport! :)

Excited and giddy for you, Twinny. Love!

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous sanctimonious sallie "told me"

In the words of Amelia Earhart:

"Trouble in the air is very rare. It is hitting the ground that causes it."

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

I don't mean to scare you here but a friendly warning: don't carry cash in London if you can avoid it. Alot of gangs and pickpockets see American tourists as easy targets.

Don't worry about the flight. You're abit a 1000 times more likely to die by being hit by a stray golfball tahn in a plane crash, apparently.

Do however take the tour bus. It's totally worth it and, if you wanna get a sense of the history of the city, can't be beat.

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Chris "told me"

Hope to see you soon! The trip will me more than worth it. London is like any big city, big and bustling, but you've got your local man to help you get the most out of it. Wales is beautiful as well.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Léonie "told me"

I am excited for you! And London is an amazing place, and so very romantic if you know the right places to go, which I'm sure he will.

Good for you for making that decision, I think it was really brave.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Chris Cope "told me"

Congrats -- you'll miss me by about 20 days.

...Because, you know, the only reason to go anywhere is to see me.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Chris--I was secretly planning my trip around your visit. Must have miscalculated. Dammit.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

Looking forward to meeting you for that pint. We HAVE to go for chips on the harbour too. No loving kisses in front of me though, okay?

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger y-vonne "told me"

Where do we send the cheque for the contribution? :-)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Dancinfairy "told me"

I am so happy for you sweetie! We'll be counting down along with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home