Monday, December 12, 2005

Name Stealers

I wish I was British so I could yell: "Oh, bloody hell!"

Gah, someone stole my baby name!

Alright, so ever since I was, I don't know, 17 and thinking I wanted a baby at that time (yes, I went through *that* phase), I began keeping a list of all the baby names, both boy and girl, that I found unique, beautiful, strapping, etc. I've got a good, oh, I don't know, 20 names for each sex, and I had finally decided on a name for a boy.

It came from a movie that I was (am) totally in love with. Some of you may scoff at me, and I say "Fine, scoff away", but this movie really touched my heart. So much so that I saw it about six times in the theater, read the book, own the movie poster (and I don't OWN movie posters), bought the VHS and DVD (just in case) and sing along to the CD. I know just about every line to the whole blasted movie.

This was a movie about true love, a restoration of faith, and giving your heart to someone even if you know by doing so would break yours in the end. It was how I wanted love to be for me. It was how I saw myself being loved, and loving back. Eerily, it mirrors my current relationship on so many different levels. So, it was only fitting that I named my first born son after the main character of this movie.

But they STOLE it. THIEVES!

I saw on my Friendster profile (yes, I have one, but rarely check it) that an ex-friend of mine, who is pregnant with her second boy, had stolen the name right out from under me! Her and her husband (as she blogged about it) couldn't come to an agreement between two other (forgive me for saying, but quite harsh sounding) names, so they just picked this one randomly. And here I've been, planning out for YEARS that this was going to be the forename of my first born son!

The bitch of it all is, this girl and I used to be really good friends. I was the maid of honor in her wedding, for Heaven's sake. But we had a falling out over something stupid, like a boy, and it exploded into the mess that it never had to be. So, we lost contact. I've run into her a few times in the past, and it was the usual "Oh my gosh, you should TOTALLY call me, we'll hang out" scenario you'd imagine it to be. But other than that, she has not been a part of my recent life. Until now. How fitting.

Well, the joke's on her. Just the other day, several wonderful baby boy names were brought to my attention that are far better than the one I had picked out. So she can have it. Now, if she has yet another boy, or bears a girl next time round, and uses ANOTHER one of my names*, there will be hell to pay. Hell, I tells ya!

10 more days**


*Okay, so I don't OWN them, but I should.
**Again, according to OUR countdown.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 4:49 PM   18 GabbyGabbers

18 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 3:41 AM, Blogger anna "told me"

Alright, (sigh), I'll go first: what the heck was the name? You must share, or I'll figure out who this old friend is and ask around town... ;)

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Spill Request 2.

What made *me* prick my ears up was that you were a maid of honour at this girl's wedding, and *then* had a falling out over a boy.

A scandal is in the offing methinks.

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

P.S.

Was the name Daryl, as in Data Analysing Robot Youth Lifeform.

Admittedly, it doesn't quite fit your description, nor is it a mindblowing name (sorry Daryls), but it was a rather good film.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

I hope the name wasn't Colin.

I agree with Huw, there is a hint of scandal there.

*I just spent SO long typing out the word verification, then it tells me that my password was wrong and I had to write out ANOTHER one.*

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger trishy "told me"

Do you watch Sex in the City? Totally an episode...Charlotte gets her long desired baby girl name stolen by a friend. Shayla or something like that.

Don't we love EX friends?

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

I'm really sorry Mo, but I don't have anything to say on this topic. Unfortunately, having you as a Swankypal makes me feel obligated to comment, lest you should feel snubbed by MR. Wubbles. So I'll just announce that I'll be issuing a state capitals quiz, and I hope you all have studied.

What movie was it? At least give us that.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

oh Mo, I've totally had a list of baby names since I was in high school, too. We are so girly! I love it.

Anyway, I'm sorry the name was stolen right out from under you! My sister has really cool names picked out--very original and unique, but not annoyingly so--and since I'm the older sis, I've of course asked if I could use one or two of hers since, obviously, I will have children first, right? :) She denied the request, rightly so. That would be pretty mean of me.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Alright. Anna, I'll email the name of the movie to you (although you KNOW what it is, you saw it with me AND have the CD as well), but it's just personal to me and I don't want people going "OH, so THAT'S what she meant". That doesn't make sense, I know, but whatever. It's MY blog.

Huw--Um, no, it wasn't Daryl (but yeah, it was a good movie). Good try though.

Huw and Curly--Well, basically what happened was this girl and I were really good friends, and she had been dating her boyfriend for like, 8 years or something. Her boyfriend's best friend and I (did you follow that?) were really good friends, so would hang out often. One time (before they got married, sorry, no scandal), this girl and her boyfriend had a really bad argument, and I was hanging out with his best friend that night, and as he needed some fun friend time, we all ended up hanging out together. In doing so, we accidentally ran into his girlfriend (who, if you remember, was one of my good friends), and she saw me sitting in the truck, right smack dab in the middle of both boys, and from then on was SURE I was trying to steal her boyfriend. Whatever, they got married. And I was really only her MOH (hey, neat, that's my name too) out of pity. But that's another story. So, there you have it. Not as scandalous as you would have hoped, but oh well.

Curly--Why not Colin? (It's not, but how come?)

Trishy--Ex-friends are a pity.

Rob--Um, thanks?

Lauren--That's funny. My sister has actually stopped sharing her prospective baby names with my mom b/c my mom shoots them all down ("That sounds like a name for a cough medicine" etc.)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

oh, and you can yell "Bloody hell!" over here in the States, too. I do it all the time. One of my youth group kids yelled it in Mexico on a mission trip. It seems to be a phrase that crosses international borders. Thanks, Brits, for a fun phrase!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

I totally just added you as a friend on friendster. :)

Trish just joined me and Becky on Myspace. . .now THAT site is addicting. I'm a nerd.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

You know how I keep saying we’re alike… well, I did that too! The BH and I saw a movie when we first started dating, and I loved the lead name – the BH (*jokingly*) said it could be the name of our first born son – I was smitten and knew that one day we would have a son called Connor*. As you’re aware the day came when we knew we were having a son – but the name Connor had gone from obscurity to the top ten within the intervening years. I was put off as it felt like everyone had a son called Connor! So we called our first son Reeve**, and kept Connor as his second name.

(* can you guess the movie? ;o))

** We were lucky we went with the V instead of the C, as Reece has since become incredibly popular too!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Was it "Highlander"? Connor 'The Highlander' MacLeod? Other than that, I'm stumped (or just too tired to think). We *are* alike, Jona, and I'm happy for that!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Thomas "told me"

Hi from Houston.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

Colin just sounds like a funny name to day, nothing more.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Maryland.

Anyone? Anyone?

...

...

...






Annapolis.

It was Annapolis.

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Kristen "told me"

I'm pretty much positive I know which movie you are talking about but I won't reveal the movie because it appears that you are being secretive for a reason. I also can't remember the guys name in the movie, although I remember his real name which is of no help. So please email me, and also who is this butthole who stole the name from you? I get possessive about names too and I don't even have a boyfriend whose essence I can steal anymore. And a comment to Huw, D.A.R.Y.L. was awesome! What was the actor's name? Barret Oliver? I wonder if he's ugly now because I was so in love with him long ago. Anyway, Lanette it was great seeing you for two seconds at the movie the other night and now that I am on break from school lets go do something when you are free! Later!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Thomas "told me"

Maybe I should share some of the saying we have here in Texas with you.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

You should go with something like Jamie. That way you're covered either way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home