Sunday, December 11, 2005

Insomnia

Ain't it great?

I spent my whole Saturday doing absolutely nothing. But, as I explained to my Darling earlier today, I have a great logic for this, and here 'tis: All day every day at work, I'm thinking exactly two things. One is: I miss my Darling. The second is: I wish I was sleeping. So, I figure the weekend is the time to do the things that you most want to do during the week, but little annoyances (i.e. my job) won't allow you to do them. So, it's perfectly justifiable that I spend an entire Saturday sleeping. Right? (Ahem: please validate me, readers.)

However, it renders me defenseless against insomnia.

So, here I sit, it's 5:01 in the AM, and I'm writing only because I'm waiting for my sleepy pill to kick in. When I start having to hit the "backspace" key more than 5 times for one sentence, then I will know it's time to stumble into my oh-so-comfy bed.

Until then, here are some random thoughts I've had in this bought of restlessness:

1.) I had no idea Richard Pryor died today due to a heart attack until I saw a very old episode of "Larry King Live" playing on one of those stations. It's always weird to know that someone famous has died. Not too sure why, it just is.

2.) Why do they wait until everyone is asleep to play the videos on MTV and VH1? I will never, for the life of me, understand this. THEY ARE MUSIC STATIONS. PLAY MUSIC WHEN PEOPLE ARE STILL AWAKE! Don't get me wrong, I adore "I Love the 80s", but throw some videos into the mix, and I will be a much happier, more frequent viewer.

3.) Similarly, why in the hell are all the infomercials on at 3AM and later? Is it because they think people at this hour are so delusional that they'll actually BUY into what their trying to sell? Geez, I mean...oh, hold the phone! It's a juicer! Not only do you get your daily fruits intake, but you can get your healthy dose of veggies too! Yes, you can put the POTATO in WITH THE SKIN ON, and it, along with the carrots, tomatoes, onions, beets, brussel sprouts, lima beans, broccoli, squash, green beans and celery sticks, will blend into the best tasting smoothie your mouth has ever experienced! Raw food in liquid form? Damn, I gotta write this number down...

Onward:

4.) They keep showing the commercial for "Amp'd Mobile" (that was about 4 "backspace" keys, it's getting close to beddy-bye time). These adverts (for the Brits!) are appauling! No, they REALLY are, and it takes a lot to offend me. So far, I've seen only two version of the commercial. One was some teenage kid who's clearing O.D.ing on drugs. He's lying, lifeless save for a few twitches, on the floor of some expensive mansion, and the maid is speaking to him in Spanish. The subtitles read something along the lines of "You can't die now, you'll miss the new Amp'd phone. You're an idiot!" The second one I saw had a hooker, seriously, straddling a man, and jumping (suggestively) on him, "trying" to give him CPR. The whole time this man is gasping for air, and she's screaming "Senator, no, you can't die now"...Amp'd Mobile plug inserted. I find these neither effective nor in good taste. Where have all the GOOD, funny commercials gone? (Although I do have to give it up to Geico, theirs are pretty damn funny, especially the caveman ones).

5.) Remember how I was griping (#2) about never seeing the videos during the daytime? Well, now I'm griping that they play the same ones OVER and OVER again. But I'm not going to complain about them playing the James Blunt video "You're Beautiful" repeatedly. Man, I love that song.

6.) [sorry to offend anyone, but...] Madonna, much like U2, should just finally call it quits! I mean, really!

7.) I took a whole roll of film (yes, 24 pictures) in one night, at one place. It was the CP Christmas Party. Good times, I shall post some pictures if y'all want. Hell, *I* want to. So you're getting 'em, whether you want to or not.

8.) I haven't sent out my Christmas cards yet. This leads me (somehow) to believe I will be a crap mother.

9.) I've had a headache for 3 days straight. I thought at first it was my contacts (because it feels like hot pokers are being jabbed into my eye sockets), but after I extracted my contacts out, the pain persisted still. I think it's in my neck now. Aside from a massage I can't afford right now, does anyone know how to alleviate this?

and finally:

10.) If you're thinking that you just wasted [however long it took you to finish this] minutes of your life, precious minutes that you will never regain, and you are kicking yourself for it, just blame my Darling. He's been gone since I got home from seeing Narnia. If he was awake to keep me company, I would not be spewing such filth. Alas, he has somewhat of a normal sleeping pattern. Still. It's all. His. Fault.* ***

Goodnight friends. Until Monday next. And what's it now? Let me check my Advent Calendar...11 MORE DAYS**!

P.S. It took me exactly 30 minutes to pen this.


*He has this way, though, of making me love him even more, despite it being his fault. He's got some magic about him.

**According to OUR standards.

*** About 2 mintues after I finished writing this post, Darling arrived. I still hold that it's his fault, but it sure is good to see him.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 3:00 AM   9 GabbyGabbers

9 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 10:43 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake "told me"

And the first thing out of your mouth to Darling was:

"Were you careful on the roads?"

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger chrissie "told me"

How was Narnia?

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

yeah, how was Narnia?

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Mr. Hoss, you caught me. I often tell my Darling dear to "be safe" as he's travelling back to his flat from work. Guilty. I'm more and more like my mom everyday. Eek.

Chrissie and Lauren--As magical as can be expected. I'm not much of a film critic, but I really liked it! I say: SEE IT!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

A few things in return:

1.) I was totally bummed when I heard that Richard Pryor died a second time. Allow me to explain: I thought Richard Pryor was already dead and had been dead for the longest time. [Is Gene Wilder even still alive? He's got to be at least 75 by now. And what about Bobcat Goldthwait?] I totally thought that since nobody heard from Richard Pryor anymore, that apparently while I was sleeping he must've ODed or something and that was it. But when I found he died, I had to re-evaluate everything and go, "He was still alive? and he just died? Man, that is sad."

2.) Don't even get me started on MTV and VH1. I was totally an MTV kid, growing up on the images of my favorite bands and songs - they were like religious icons to me. And to this day,there are some videos, like Radiohead's "Paranoid Android", and tell you, "See, that's totally what it's all about!" But then the plague known as "The Real World" crept in...followed by Road Rules...followed by every other imaginable TV show MTV execs could think of thereby pushing any actual music television to TRL - and TRL mostly exists now for rappers and hot new actors to give shout outs to their crew holding up in Holstead. *sulks*

3.) While I agree that it's time for Madonna to retire and just live her life of glamour, primarily because she stopped being revolutionary and controversial after that album "Erotica," I do feel that U2 is till one damn fine band. Now, I can't offer them much defense since I only own "The Joshua Tree" on vinyl, and while I really don't understand why Bono incorrectly counted in Spanish on "Vertigo" ("Uno, dos, tres, catorce..."?), I still think they've got some artistic juices flowing.

And lastly, next weekend I plan on doing two things: I'm going to go see Narnia and King Kong - and after that, I'm sleeping.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Mo, my dear, may I offer you a dubious compliment?


This post marks the first time your blog has actually lived up to its name.

ALSO: I didn't know Richard Pryor had died until I read it on your blog.

LASTLY:I'll see your Madonna and U2 and raise you an Aerosmith.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

I too am slightly peeved with MTV not playing music videos. I don't sit down to watch TV too often but when I do I usually spend the entire time flicking throught the music channels, trying to find some music.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jona "told me"

Sleep as much as you want, when you want – there’s very few times in your life when the opportunity to do as you please, so make the most of it!

Re 5. I adore Beautiful by JB too, and Alright Tonight is another of my favourites, good taste :o)

Re 6 I agree! (But not with the U2 bit!)

Re 8 No, No, No! You’re getting in practice at how to improvise and get things done at the last minute (And this works with blaming Darling too ;o))

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Ah! Someone else who hates MTV! At long last! It's so bad that when I set up my digital box channel list to have the music channels in one convenient block, I put MTV in the unsubscribed channel block.

Madonna and U2: Good in the eighties. Not good in the naughties.

Two days and then I too will be going to see Narnia. At lat the 11 year wait between reading the books and seeing the movie (hopefully movies) will be over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home