Thursday, December 22, 2005

I'm FORCED to be Forgiving...

...because it's Christmas.

But seriously, how did I become *that* person that becomes annoyed by EVERY LITTLE THING! Let's say, for example, that I'm sitting in a college course trying to scribble down everything the professor is saying about the self-fulfilling prophesy. Then all of a sudden..."tap tap tappity tap...tap tap tappity tap...tap tap tappity tap..."(you the the idea). I think to myself, "What the heck is that and where is it coming from?" Next door neighbor is tap tap tapping his pencil in an annoying (albeit, rhythmic) pattern, obviously not as preoccupied on the topic of this somewhat self-deprecating cycle as I am.

No matter, I think, I'll just block him and his tapping out. But no! It's too late. I've already heard the tapping. It's seared into my brain. IT'S ALL I CAN HEAR! So then, my quest is not on the detailing of my notes, no...now it's trying to find a way to make it stop!

I *AHEM* loudly. Nope, no effect. *COUGH COUGH* Persistent little bugger. Throwing my pencil would only add more ammunition to his arsenal. Maybe if I construst a mini-spit wad and aim it directly at the noise-maker, I can dislodge it from his hand and THEN...

"Okay, see y'all next week. Don't forget, essays are due!"

DAMMIT ALL. The Tapping Tyrant has managed to distract me from the end of the lecture, which we all know is the time when the most important "now, make sure you highlight this because it will be on your final" comments are given. He will pay. Oh yes, he will pay dearly.

I experienced something to that effect this morning. We were enjoying a presentation on "Professional Development", and I was sat next to a male employee who shall remain nameless. I was content listening to how *I* could dress for success when...

schluuuuurrrrp...schlurrrrrrrrrrrrp...schluuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrpppp.

...the hell is that? Turns out, Noisy McNoisester is LOUDLY slurping his tea. And not just one big slurp and then minutes in between, no. Several long, drawn out, messy slurps, separated only by the "GULP...ahhhhh"s.

Drown it out, drown it out, drown it out.

But I couldn't, and this continued for the WHOLE presentation. This is also the guy who usually sits next to me whenever all of us are out eating or having a luncheon, and INSISTS on taking up my personal bubble space with his elbow so he can cut/manuever/wrangle his food. Gah.

I just had to keep telling myself when I felt the urge to give him a good elbowing in the nose, that this was Christmas time...a time to forgive and see past the petty things that normally piss you off.

That didn't really work, though, so I just thanked my lucky stars that it was a really concise presentation.


One day to go, people. One day.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 12:17 PM   12 GabbyGabbers

12 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

One day, Twinny! And 4 days til your best Christmas present of all arrives, huh? :) Yay!

I KNOW what you mean about annoying things. . .slurps, especially. One time when I worked in Chicago, we went out and got Starbucks for some people who came to visit us. And we were all in one quiet little room, reading, being quiet, drinking our coffees, and being quiet. And this one pastor slurp-slurp-slurped away at his mocha frappucino and we all kept looking at each other until finally I burst out laughing. So in that sense, it wasn't quite as annoying as it was funny. But still, I know what you mean. :)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Mo, sweetie, you have GOT to take up meditation or something.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger blog Portland "told me"

You're not alone. Throughout college, this woman who sat in front of me nodded her head in agreeance NON STOP with everything the professor said. Some days I secretly fantasized about duct taping her head to the desk.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

Am I the only one who actually voiced the sounds referenced in this post? 'Schluuurp' was just TOO fun not to!

Okay, I'm a total nerd.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger trishy "told me"

why lauren, this kind of reminds me of noodle soup girl! every day, noodle soup. noodle soup, every freakin' day...

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

aaaah! Totally noodle soup girl. Plus, we had the visual of the noodles hanging out of her mouth along with the slurps.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Jona "told me"

You'll stop noticing a lot of stuff like this after you've got kids! I swear there's some sort of sanity switch that gets flicked so that nine out of ten annoying habits don't get recognised - but woe the tenth, as the reaction is often ten-fold!

(Of course, once you've got kids, stuff like this is happening four to forty times an hour, so from an onlookers viewpoint, the mother appears a insane as she alternates between smiles and sudden bursts of fury ;o))

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Jona "told me"

MOH - If you let me know your email address, I have a card for you - mine is on my profile page :o)

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Becky "told me"

MOH, I totally get annoyed at every little thing now too. I don't know what causes it...I think girls just get annoyed too easily.

Like if I am clicking a pen, it doesn't bother me, but if I hear someone else doing it, it drives me crazy.
I don't kow how to get past it.
My little brother likes to gulp his drink and then do the "aaahhhh" after it that just get's longer and longer each time.
Mabye we should get little flags that carry and every time someone annoys us we can raise our little flag and then people will know when to stop...
OK, not really.

Have a very Merry Christmas!!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Thomas "told me"

I don't know you but I gets this vibe from you.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Thomas "told me"

Are you more in the Christmas spirit today? Because otherwise I am telling Bill O'Reilly on you.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

So I'm NOT the only one who really wants to hurt people in an annoyed rage over small things that most people could ignore?

Like the time some kid kept kicking my chair while I was in the cinema watching die another day (the best bond movie ever bar the living daylights) with some friends. They went to get the guard guy who stand outside the screen and while they were gone, I caught his foot and nearly broke his ankle. Who gets banned for 6 months? The annoying kid for provoking me? No, I do.

To conclude, annoying people suck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home