Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Bah (You know the rest)

It's hard to be in the Christmas spirit when you're family's not doing so well. Although I am so incredibly excited to see my Darling, I can't help but be a bit down in the Christmas dumps because of a bunch of other stuff that's going on. I just feel so helpless, because, unless I gave up my job to become a full-time caretaker, or took on about 6 more jobs to support my mom and daddy, there's really not much I can do to help.

I just hate to see things this way. I know that was probably the most vague statement in the history of the world, but do you know what I mean? You see so many people that you love just hurting so badly, but there's nothing you can do to fix it, nothing you can say to make it better. I know that when I was in grad school for counseling, they teach you to listen instead of give advice. And there's also a reason why the Number One Cardinal Rule is: Never, ever, under any circumstance, counsel a family member. I fully understand why.

I have to say, the only thing saving me from becoming a complete scrooge this Christmas is the upcoming visit. However, that will happen the day after Christmas. So, I'm employing you, the readers of MOHland, to please suggest some things I could do to get more into the holiday spirit. They could be activities you do, movies you watch, special drinks or foods...anything. One rule though: please don't reference anything along the lines of "build a snowman!" for obvious reason (for those of you not-so-sharp tools, I live in Tejas; it's like, 75 degress here or something outrageous).

I would appreciate anything you could throw my way. I'm SO Christmas. This is the first year where I have a very scared, hopeless feeling. Sorry to bring down the happy happy joy joy level, but I had to get this off my chest.

Merriness shall resume in a few days.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 8:56 PM   10 GabbyGabbers

10 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 2:49 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

I read this post first thing and having been thinking on it a while, unfortunately I haven't come up with a any terrific solutions - however, baking to Christmas carols generally lifts my moods some. And everyone else is cheered a little by the products... even if it's only to laugh at your wonky gingerbread-snowmen! (There you see, you CAN make a snowman ;o))

Daisy (see her link from my page) is a great example of how to become Christmas-dizzy, check her out (and her snowmen are never wonky!)

Good luck :o)

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger chrissie "told me"

I hope things get better soon!

As for things to get you into the Christmas spirit, try some hot chocolate stirred with a candy cane. Or peppermint stick ice cream. Or drive around to look at lights.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Cleavers "told me"

Watch 'It's a Wonderful Life', or 'White Christmas'. Both bound to get you in the Christmas mood, after a little cry that is so have the tissues handy. I'm going home for Xmas as a massive surprise to my mum (she's going to be knocked off her feet when I ring the bell on Christmas morning) so I'm holding off on watching them until I get there as I usually watch them with her.

Oh, and mince pies. Can't stand them myself, but they smell of Christmas!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Mo,

dotdotdot

I can't think of anything to tell you, really. I don't know if any of this will help, I mean. But I'll tell you what always works for me:

Get your oldest friend that you can find. A sibling, or someone who has known you your whole life. Then, bake what is known as an "Ass-load" of cookies. All kinds. Make a huge mess of things baking Christmas cookies. Get frosting and colred sugar and go hog freakin wild. Make the kinds YOU like. Or just follow the recipe on the back of the Nestle chocolate chips bag. Make a big affair of the whole thing.

THEN, make several plates of these cookies and take them to all your favorite people. Especially the doting mother of your old friend form kindergarten, because she will invite you in and feed you all kinds of stuff you shouldn't have, and ask you how everything is and show you her Christmas tree. A day of that usually does the trick.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

Wow, now I want to try everyone's suggestions for myself! Christmas music always lifts my spirits, Mo. Nutcracker, Bing Crosby, whatever. . .it all works for me.

I hope your 'bah humbug' goes away soon. . .I remember feeling similarly last year and desperately looking for something to fill the void. But Jesus still comes, whether we're ready or not, whether we're in the right mindset or not. . .He doesn't care about that. And I think that's the beauty of it all

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger trishy "told me"

I'm with Robby-Rob on the baking and sharing of goods. 'Tis the season for giving and sometimes that's just what you need to do to get in the Christmas spirit. I also like to watch every Christmas movie I own, from the totally lame to the really great: White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, Prancer, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, Elf, Frosty, Rudolph, you get the picture.

Last but certainly not least, go CAROLING! Sounds silly and old fashioned, but I used to do it every year and still try to go with old friends when and if we can all get together. Pile into a car, drive somewhere with Christmas lights, and sing your little hearts out!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

The best way to get over christmas blues is to get together with family, especially younger siblings/nieces/nephews etc. This, after all, is truly what christmas is about. People getting together and enjoying each other's company.

I say especially youngsters because, if you're anything like me, their sense of excitement over christmas will transfer onto you.

Last year the best part of christmas for me was the look on my 6 year old nephew's face as he opened his presents. It remindered me of who much I loved christmas as a kid so hopefully it'll work for you too!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. They are all great ideas, and I got a bit of a Christmas spark back in me even as I read them! I appreciate all your help and support!!

No more Bah Humbug!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Thomas "told me"

I love Bill Murray. In the "I think he is really funny" kind of way.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

That's one of my all-time favorite movies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home