Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Happy Birthday to YOOOOOOU!

Tomorrow is one of my best friend’s birthday! Nic(orina) is turning the big 2-6! Celebrations will transpire, complete with loads of food, drinks, and a trip to Austin that will assure me coming back with some funny/scary/embarrassing stories to share with y’all.

I have always loved my birthday even though I’m not really sure why. I have never done anything extremely special for the occasion. Even my 21st—the birthday which makes it legal for me to consume alcoholic beverages and is celebrated by people every day with wild parties and assured alcohol poisoning for at least ONE person—was not that spectacular. I went down to the Riverwalk and had some drinks with my boyfriend (at the time) and some friends. I did get to wear a tiara though…mmm, princessy!

Now, of course I’m biased because it’s MY birthday, but I really couldn’t think of a better time in which to be born. I made my way into this crazy world in May, probably the closest to a “Spring” season you could get in Texas. The weather is often very beautiful, and of course, the flowers are blooming and trees are budding and all that flowery nonsense. I love it!

Other advantages of being born in May: when you’re in elementary school, your birthday occurs RIGHT at the end of the year, so you can have a party and know that summer is just around the corner. However, you’re still in school, so you can have all the attention from fellow classmates fawning all over you because you’re the birthday girl and it’s your ONE DAY of fame! Homeroom mothers make you cupcakes—I LOVE cupcakes! You can also have a swimming party, because it’s hot enough around that time to splish splash in a pool. The possibilities for birthday fiesta fun in May are endless.

When we lived in Lytle we had one of those 3 foot above-ground swimming pools (hey, they were completely cool at the time!). I think I had a Wuzzles swimming party once, and I remember I invited some girls over from school. One of them was always vying for “Best Friend Status” with me (even though she didn’t like me…makes sense, I know. That’s how elementary school girls’ minds work) and so she got me like, an outfit or something. But this other girl I invited got me a TON of cutesy stuff, and I have this picture of Girl #1 giving Girl #2 the meanest death-to-you glare you could ever see on an 8 year old’s face. Seriously, I thought she was going to jump here by the Slip ‘n’ Slide later. Good times.

Since then, nothing too important for my special day. I mean, yes, my parents have done the whole cake/cards/presents thing every year, but I’ve never really gone anywhere or had a surprise party or anything. No, this is not a “woe is me” post, just an observation. I’ll be turning 25 this year and THAT will be an incredibly special birthday because I will be in London celebrating with my darling! That will make up for the 20 some odd years I’ve been bored on my birthday.

Any pre-birthday monetary donations to help fund my way over to London will be accepted and appreciated.

And that’s about all I got. Sorry for the lag time between posts, I’ve been in kind of a funk lately. Think I’m pulling out of it though, and will be back to normal in no time!

Insignificance Conveyed @ 6:56 AM   16 GabbyGabbers

16 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Wow! I remember the wuzzles!!!

Ahem, that sounded a bit too enthusiastic. Try again.

I recall the wuzzles. Vaguely. Ahem.

(Originality, living with a split person-alll-ity! Ooo Ooo!)

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

I have the same birthday as Hugh Hefner. April 9. Indeed, it appears it was my destiny to be swanky.

My birthday is the greatest day ever. I loathe and despise winter. Spring and summer is where it's AT for me. My birthday plays the dual role of National Rob West Day, the one day when it's all about me, and my own personal New Year's. My birthday ushers in the Season. It's supa-badass. Spring technically starts in March, but March sucks, and it's right around my birthday that it starts to get warm and stays that way. LOOOVE that stuff
All I need now is for Hef to invite me to one of his birthday bashes. Then life will be perfect.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Huw--You continue to surprise me (in a good way!). I can't believe you "recall" the Wuzzles. Weren't they great?

Swankertons--We're so alike it's weird. And your picture is so befitting, what with you having Hef's b-day and all. Livin' it up Swanky Style

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

My birthday is this Saturday and it's interesting that you wrote this post, because I've reflected a lot on birthdays lately. This one's gonna be kinda weird for me, I think. I've been dreading turning 24. . .I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous. But I think it's because I'm realizing that birthdays are just another day. Plus, I feel old. I don't know why. I remember the birthdays of the past: the parties, the cupcakes, my mom putting a candle in a donut on our birthday mornings, picking out the kind of cake I wanted, having my locker decorated. . .and this year it won't quite be the same at camp with 12-14 year-olds. :) Which kinda makes me smile. Because they're fun and I just KNOW they're going to make me laugh a lot (whether it's my birthday or not). I guess what I've been reflecting on is the fact that 21 was somewhat monumental (though, like you, I had a glass of wine at a nice restaurant with my boyfriend at the time--that was the extent of my revelry in my coming of age and legality), 22 marked the end of college, 23 was my first AFTER college, and now it's. . .I don't know. . .kinda un-exciting? Gosh, I'm rambling and I sound like a depressed birthday-hating fool--which I'm not, I promise. It's just funny how I don't count down the days anymore. . .

. . .and why not?! 4 more days, everyone, til Lauren is 24!!!It WILL be fun--I've already planned a night out with friends next Monday. And my best friend is even taking off work to come visit me! Wow, Lauren, why the heck are you complaining?

Well I just made myself feel happier. :) Sorry to take up so much space only to talk to myself. :)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Hey, sometimes we come to the best conclusions by talking to ourselves, Lauren, how do you think I got to be so smart.

I know, I wish you could join us this Saturday in Austin for some birthday fun! But it sounds like you already have so many fun things going on! If you plans change, though, let me know. I'd love to buy you a 24th birthday drink!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Mo,
I've tried not to let this get out on the blog, but in reality, I'm *gasp* a DORK.
Seriously. I'm talking Star Wars Toys Collection-level geekhood.
Please don't tell anyone.

Lauren, I know what you need.. how about...one of... THESE:

wOOt HAPPY BRFDA LAUREN HOLLA!!!

Of course, on the subject, I can think of another Swanky chap with a very long name who has a birthday coming up VERY shortly...

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Wait a minute, the Wuzzles? Were they the zoo animals like, a Lion and a Hippo or something, but they all had butterfly wings? And a bullet with butterfly wings? Or is that something else?

I remember them. Although I have to tell you, I don't remember particularly liking them. Now, Muppet Babies, that was a Saturday morning cartoon I could sink my teeth into. I remember watching Gonzo come up with his weird crap, and thinking that I was not so alone as I thought.

Why, I remember when they were all speculating on where babies come from, and Gonzo demonstrated his theory by paddling a canoe into outer space and fishing for alien babies, except they were all giant and had four heads or killer tentacles. And I would sit there watching in my Go-Bots jammies, enthralled. "Gonzo," I would think, stuffing handfuls of dry Cheerios into my mouth, "You and I are not so different, friend."
Then he would open the door to the closet of the nursery and inside there would be cackling mad scientists or black-and-white killer robots, and I would feel relieved, at the same time, that we were not more similar.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger trishy "told me"

Unfortunately, birthdays are much less exciting during this time in our lives. Honestly, we had a little get together for mine on a Friday and my actual birthday was Sunday, and believe it or not, when I woke up on the actual day, it didn't even occur to me that it was my birthday. Until good friends like Lauren and others began to call me, that is.

I just try to enjoy the fact that friends and family are thinking of me on that day and I delight in the fact that I do have such wonderful people in my life.

I am STILL waiting for my damn office celebration!!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Müzikdüde "told me"

Eventually, birthdays become overrated...and eventually...dreaded.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

My birthday is next Tuesday, one week from today, and I find it very amusing that you actually wrote this post because, like Lauren, I've been thinking a lot about birthdays and my birthday in general - and, as a result, how awesome I truly feel my birthday to be. Actually, I kind of consider the entire preceding month of my birthday, from October 15th to November 15th, to be my Birthday Month with the last day, my actual birthday culminating in a sort of festival - much like Ramadan or that thing in India where everybody bathes in the River. In fact, I've been doing a countdown for everyday regrding how many more days are left before my actual birthday is here. This year, at work, I'm buying a bunch of pizzas and sharing them. Hobbit-style birthday.

I do take a lot of pride in my birthday and especially my astrological sign. Why, it's tattooed on my right shoulder to be exact. And my birthday falls dead in the middle of November. I find that quite exceptional.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Becky "told me"

Yea Birthdays!!

Just another reason to celebrate with great friends. My birthday was in August and Lauren and I took an amazing trip to Key West, Florida. Something I will never forget.
But just being with someone that is very special on your birthday makes it so much fun. Even if you don't do anything.
For instance...Lauren and I are going to get birthday Coffee tomorrow since she'll be gone on her real day.

What a great reason to have all the attention on you for one day out of the year.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Chris--yous funny. I do countdowns for OTHER special days, but not for my birthday. And why the heck are YOU buying pizzas for everyone? You need THEM to by YOU pizzas. That's just how you should roll.

Becky--Yes, spending your birthday with special people far beats a wild party with people you barely know. And, as I get older, I find that I'm more low-key (see: Boring). But I LOVE my friends, so I'm cool with just hanging with them on my b-day.

I think all my blog friends should throw me a massive pre-birthday party in early May before I leave for London. That way, my birthday can last ALL...MONTH...LONG!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

A response to muzikdude (with the crazy umlauts):

I completely disagree. And I disagree not from a standpoint of, "Aye, look at me, me hardees, I'm limber an' fit to crisp! Aye!" Ignore the pirate accent, if you will. Regardless, it is right and proper to celebrate birthdays NOT from a standpoint of being born - even though, that, in itself is worth a lot - but rather, birthdays are calendrical marking screaming, "HEY! DESPITE ALL THE CRAP I'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS PAST YEAR, I'VE MADE IT! I'M A YEAR OLDER!" That, my friend, is nothing to dread...ever.

It's about survival. And getting crunk.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger chrissie "told me"

I am known for stretching out my birthday. You know, I have to have the different celebrations with different groups of friends, etc. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Last year I had a trip to the horse races, a fancy dinner party with my girls, a picnic with just me and the boy, dinner with his family, and a visit from my aunt and uncle.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Want me to get a keg for your birthday, Capn?

Please?? It'd make a great excuse.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Chrissie, I do that too. Out with work friends, out with outside of work friends, something special with a boyfriend (if I have one at the time), and family stuff. Draw it out as much as you can, I say!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home