Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Glad It Wasn't Me

This morning I witnessed a car accident. This guy was not patient enough to wait in his OWN lane, so he came barreling down the "turn only" lane and smashed into an innocent car that was trying to get out of an intersection. And the guy whose fault it was--HE was the one who looked pissed! I was so mad, but in shock because I had never seen an accident actually happen before. Plus, the cars were blocking the pathway to the road I needed, so I had to concern myself with finding an alternate route. Seriously, we need a light at this intersection.

In relaying the story to my co-workers, I realized that it's been a year ago this month (well, October) since I totalled Little Red (my cute little Honda Accord I had for several years). I was in rush hour traffic going to the juvenile detention center for work, stupidly looked down to change a CD, and rear-ended the car in front of me. I seriously didn't think I was going fast at all (we were at creep-along speeds) but the damage that was done to my front end was crazy! You would have thought I was going 60 MPH! I think I was told, though, that cars are meant to give like that to protect you. I don't really see the logic in that, but I was so upset when it happened that I took whatever comfort I could get. My car was totaled, which resulted in me purchasing Sunburn. Sunburn got her name after a mysterious melanoma-like disease spread all over her body after heavy rain and then glaring sunlight, resulting in her clear coat peeling, much like...you guessed it, a sunburn. God bless her, though, she's a great car.

What really got my goat about my first ever accident one year and 16 days ago was, the man whom I had hit, despite my hysterical crying and shaking, was incredibly put out that I had rear-ended him (doing no damage to his car) and caused HIM to rear-end the SUV in front of him (his fault; he shouldn't have been that close to the other SUV). And do you know what he told me as we were exchanging insurance information?

"You think you've had it bad. This is the second accident I've been in today. I had one earlier this morning."

Hmm...Me, an innocent girl who's never been in a traffic accident or had a ticket before versus him, who had two accidents under his belt just in THAT day. Suspicious I was.

But I still got sued.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 7:00 AM   11 GabbyGabbers

11 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

Seeing your first accident is horrid. I remember mine and it was the first time I was ever driving alone too! I didn't stop, when I should have, but I was so shocked.

I got rear ended for the first time this year- but I knew it was going to happen before it did becuase I was going around a bend and had to brake sharply for the idiot car in front, who was letting out a lorry on wet busy road (I call him an idiot because he should have known how many cars were coming down behind him, and that there wouldn't be time to stop for the folks at the back!)
The poor woman who hit me had her car very badly damaged as well, but as mine only had a scratch I decided I couldn't be doing with the hassle of a loan car, and told her I wouldn't be bothering with an insurance claim (is that the same as being sued in the US?)

Yikes, sorry in a typing mood!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Being sued in the US (or, more specifically, MY case) means the guy I hit was a total prick (excuse my language), and even though he was fine, just pissed, he sued me for "damage and suffering". It's usually a settlement with insurances, but made me feel horrible because I was on my parent's insurance, so it went on their record!

I have decided. The next person that hits me, I'm suing them. ::Sigh:: No, I'm not that mean!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

As for the guy this morning, who acted like it was all someone else's fault, that isn't really a big surprise. The law that makes it illegal to pass in turning lanes is, in my opinion, a very important one, inasmuch as doing so carries a risk of being hit head-on by someone else who has the right-of-way. Disregarding this law shows not only stupidity, but also complete lack of consideration, Chances are, if you do that, you're a jerk. And even if you're not, doing it makes you a jerk. So his blaming the other guy and getting all pissed is fairly consistent with his necessarily being a whaddayacallit. Jerk.

If I ran the world, people like that would be identified at birth and taken to love somewhere that deserves it, such as California or France.

And freakin insurance companies. Don't even get me stahted! (<----New Jersey tough guy accent)

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Huw "told me"

I've never done the whole crashing into other cars thing. Bollards? Yes. Garage (or, as I'd say, Garidge) doors? Indeed. Signposts? Certainly!

I once had the odd experience of someone making a fraudulant claim against me, totally out of the blue. I never quite understood the logic, but perhaps they had damaged their car and made a note of my registration on the off chance that when their insurance company got in touch I'd be like: "Did I crash into someone? Hmmmm... I suppose I *could* have and just not remembered... so yup! I'll take liability!" Their claim was foiled though: I pointed out they were talking rubbish. Not only that, but I looked up their name in the phonebook and shouted rude words through the letterbox of the address listed. Probably not the same person admittedly, but it felt good.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Swankertons--100% agree. Again, we're here (I'm gesturing, can you see me?)

Huw--You never fail to make me crack up at work. I never knew about that fraudulant claim!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

My first wreck - er, I mean, accident -- was totally my fault and I never blamed anyone but me. It happened during my junior year in high school and I was barrelling down the road, looking way too long in the rearviewmirror and SQUEEEEAAAAL CRASH!

I hit the car in front of me going roughly 50 mph - had I not attempted to break, it would've been a full 60.

I was in such a panic. I was horribly confused and didn't have a clue on what to do. So I got out, went to the car I hit (who had hit the car in front of them) and made sure they were alright. Then I had the absolute audacity to ask the girl if I could borrow her cell phone to call my parents!

'Hi. Are you alright? I'm sorry about hitting your car - can I use up some minutes on your cell phone? Thanks!'

If they weren't calling me names behind my back, I'd be very surprised!

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

Why do people drive like that for gods sakes? Everyone just seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere, this just makes it likely that they're going to get in an accident and not make it at all.

I nudged someone waiting at a junction once, but it he one of those people that pull halfway out and then suddenly. I waved as an apology, he waved as an apology - no damage done and I went about my day.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

If two men married the same woman, would they be husbands-in-laws?

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger anna "told me"

Hey Netters!

I'm just getting a chance to catch up over here! Dude, that Halloween costume--you look so terrible, and I am so PROUD of you! Who did your makeup? Shanda? It really is a great costume. But even better, may I say, was the "half a mind" pun. See, we're connected at the heart when you do that.

Kip! I thought it was him! And no one's seen...that movie...that the guy's costume was from. Trying too hard to be associated with something ostensibly cool but really cringe-inducing when you bring it up in social situations, costumes like that. It would be like...um...[I just sat here for five full minutes before I realized I have no connection to anything even marginally "cool" anymore. Send me a care package.]

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Nanners!

How dare you insult me! *I* did my own make up, thank you very much. I know that you, a person of such high caliber make up artistry, could not even BEGIN to fathom the idea that a low-life make-up amateur such as myself could have pulled off such a fantastic job...but I did!

Freakin', send me your address! Everyone wants to send you a care package, but no one knows how to reach you. Nerd. I love you!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger MarkD60 "told me"

I hit my plastic grill on the back of a chevy blazer and the whole rear end exploded! The big glass window broke and the spare tire mashed the back door in. It was a "barely touch" in nearly all stop traffic. It didn't do anything to my car (Landcruiser) and the only part that touched the blazer was the plastic, UN-reinforced grille. Never buy a blazer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home