Monday, November 14, 2005

Austin in a Nutshell

Well, seeing as how I'm still very exhausted, this post will have to be brief. I shall revert back to a good ol' college term paper outline, and bullet the highlights. You can thank me later.


  • The drive up to Austin was frustrating. Thank goodness we had Austin natives to guide us. Damn those One Way streets!
  • Never go to a restaurant on the night of a UT Longhorns home game. You'll hate the color orange (fine, burnt orange) and you'll not eat until about 2 hours after you arrive.
  • Don't ask the staff of the Hula Hut anything. They don't know.
  • Eat there anyway, because the food was really good and it's right on the lake...what a view (especially for fellow romantics)!
  • When you book a hotel for 2 people, make sure to have the other 5 people staying in said room wait outside, you know, so as not to appear suspicious.
  • Don't sing along to the Rastafarian-esque music in the taxi. It's just not cool with the driver if a white girl is bellowing out "Make cocaine leeeeegal, yeah!"
  • Austin bars are now smoke-free. My eyes and contacts thank the government for that.
  • A guy that wanted to buy my friend a drink ordered her a "Grey Goose Vodka". He was mocked by the bartender when she retorted, "Um, those are the same thing". Tsk.
  • I forgot how much I love to dance, and hate when I have to supress my urge to *ahem* get down.
  • The Drink and the Library are 2 quaint bars (both featured in the The Real World: Austin) that I rather liked. Of course, I was drinking Long Island Iced Teas, so I pretty much would have liked any old place on the majestic 6th.
  • DON'T listen to your girlfriend when she's trying to convince you to go to a party on the 15th floor of the Omni hotel...even if it IS like the "penthouse" (or so she says).
  • Apparently, cab drivers (who speak a limited amount of English) don't like when you take a picture with a flash in their taxi. Normally (see: soberly) I would have known that. Sorry Mr. Cab Driver.
  • Never underestimate the amount of fun you can have in a hotel room with 6 other people playing drunk Uno and TRYING to play drunk "Presidents and Assholes" with, you guessed it, the Uno cards. (Towards the end, everyone was just saying things like "Drink. Drink for not believing in my powers" and such).
  • You really can laugh unbelievably hard at something you're not even sure is funny or not. And that's one of the greatest feelings you can ever have.
  • Kerby Lane may be famous and all, but their system of getting people their tables is less than effective. They needed a bullhorn. Or someone smart to run the place. Either way, it didn't change the fact that we waited about 2 hours to eat, and I was getting that "Uh oh, gonna be sick" feeling by the time my food arrived.
  • Homefries are one of my new favorite foods.
  • Friends can sleep in the oddest positions in the back of your car when they've been sleep deprived.
  • Thinking that Sunday is a good day to close off a major highway that takes me to my lovely apartment because people won't be out and about is completely wrong. I hate construction.
  • A night in Austin with some of your best friends should be experienced by everyone. I hope Nic had a great birthday.
  • The only thing that would have made this weekend trip complete is if my darling would have been there to experience it with me.

And so, friends, those are the major highlights of my weekend in Austin. Did I spend too much money? Of course. Was I frustrated at some of the events that unfolded? Sure. Would I do it all over again. You bet your sweet bippy.

And a very special CONGRATULATIONS to one of my best friends, Kate, and her new *fiance* Adam. They are one of those couples that you look at and say "I hope I have that one day". Love them a lot.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 7:31 PM   9 GabbyGabbers

9 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

I know I've been to Austin 'coz I have a patch on my travelling ruchsack, but for the life I can't remember the place - guess I must have had a good time ;o) Definitely sounds like you did!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

such fun! we had a blast last night, too, though it was Monday night and way more spontaneous seeing as how I wasn't even planning on going downtown. i do believe we'd have a blast together if we got your group with Nicole and mine with Emily. . .ooooh, we'd have the whole town wondering who we were. ;)

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Kristen "told me"

I'm so glad you guys had fun! I wish I could have gone. Stupid work. DO YOU HEAR ME WORK!!! YOU ARE STUPID!!! Soooo anyway, it sounds like it was fun, yet also annoying in the laugh about it later but not really sort of way. I do want to hang out sometime soon! Have a great week!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger trishy "told me"

Sounds fantastic! Sounds like you made Austin proud!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Simon Swinbank "told me"

Hi thanks for taking the time to view my blog (www.ktsh.blogspot.com). I haven't read yours fully yet but I will in time.
If you don't mind my saying you're a very pretty lady. I'll try and put a picture on mine on of these days.
So thanks again and see ya for now!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

Why did you have to suppress the urge to dance? You should have taken some of the Grey Goose Vodka on offer..!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Jona--Haha, crazy times!

Lauren--Yes, we will be famous for a night. Soon, we'll go out soon!

Kristen--Gah, we missed you!

Trishy--We sure tried.

Simon--It was my pleasure and thank you. Come back soon!

Curly--You're so right, my friend.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Mo,

Did you use the Little Man Rule?

I love the Little Man Rule.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

What's the Little Man Rule? Is this something I should know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home