Thursday, October 27, 2005

Sing a Song

Well, thanks to my Brit friends, I've learned the word "knackered" and feel I can properly use it in this sentence:

"My work week has rendered me quite knackered."

Of course, I probably butchered the word and will therefore be banned from ever using any Britlandish words again, but what can I say: I'm knackered.

Seeing as how all of my brainpower this week has been used to produce a quite in-depth biannual report (the only highlight being that I taught MYSELF something new in SPSS, which has always be my hairy monster in the closet), I have nothing of my usual brilliance to write about. I did, however, come up with a rather challenging question for you, my dear readers.

I know several of you are like me, totally addicted to and living your life by music. I have a very ecclectic range of tunes that litter my iPod, from Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald, to John Mayer and Jason Mraz, to J-Kwon and Kanye West, back to Enya, curving around at Keane and the Killers, and circling back round to Ray Charles and Otis Redding. Plus many, many more.

So, MOH would like to ask you...If you could pick a song, out of the millions you know and love, that most closely resembles how you see yourself or your life, what do you think it would be? And, of course, why?

Here's mine: I know that this would be a difficult task, but somehow, someway, the PERFECT song bounded into my head; "Pick Me, MOH" it said, and who am I to argue with the voice of a song. So I have chosen John Mayer's
St. Patrick's Day as the most perfect way to sum up my life right at this very instant. It's so fitting, it's eerie. Read the lyrics. Sure, John Mayer may be one of those writers that aims at tugging on the heartstrings of girls like me, but I tell you what, I completely fall for it. Here's why:


November WON'T see our goodbye, and I know I don't want to be alone at Christmas time. I'm ringing in the New Year with the person I love the most, where we probably will make resolutions a hundred times. February is always a hard month for me, but with him as my Valentine, I'm sure it will be the easiest one yet, and then...St. Patrick's Day. And we go from there. Measuring your time by the holidays you'll spend with the only person that matters to your romantic heart. That's me. All over.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 6:38 PM   7 GabbyGabbers

7 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 3:00 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

I cannot believe the coincidence of you picking this subject for your post today! You must be my physic twin, because as a song was playing this morning I was thinking how I'd pick it as the tune that summed me up!

I’m afraid my choice isn’t as meaningful as yours, but considering how many different things I am to different people (and how no one person knows all my varied traits), and the chorus sums me well, my pick is:

The Joker

Cause I'm a picker
I'm a grinner
I'm a lover
And I'm a sinner
I play my music in the sun

I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a midnight toker
I sure don't want to hurt no one

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Curly "told me"

That is such a good question that I'm completely unable to think of an answer.

Do I tell you the truth and expose all my darkest thoughts and feelings? Or do I lie and portray myself as someone completely different?

Am I reading WAY too much into this?

I need a drink.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Rob West "told me"

Now THIS is a great question. I'm gonna need lots of space for this. To be honest, my mind was already right there before you even said "Otis Redding". But thatnks for bringin it up. This song is my life, announced by a slow guitar in G major...

Sittin in the morning sun,
I'll be sittin when the evening comes.
Watchin the ships roll in,
And I watch 'em roll away again.
I'm sittin on the dock of the bay,
Wathing the tide roll away.
I'm sittin on the dock of the bay,
Wasting time...
...
Looks like nothing's gonna change,
Everything still remains the same.
And I can't do what ten people tell me to do,
So I guess I'll remain the same...

This song sort of covers all moods for me. Sometimes, I feel lonely as hell, as if everything and everyone is moving forward and living life but me.
Sometimes I feel like life's not half bad, like my setup it really sweet, and I just wish I had someone I could truly share it with. Come join me on my dock, I say!
And sometimes? Well, sometimes I'm just chillin. This is sweet. Just a-chillin on my dock. Couldn't be happier to be wasting time. I'm-a go chill on my dock for a while.

I'm not an emo kid, but I love emo music. Sorry. My current favorite song is "A Lifetime" by Better Than Ezra. The version from their CD "Closer" not ther newer version you've heard on the radio. They are only slightly different, but somehow it's all the diference in the world. (You should download it!) It's a song about remembering someone who truly touched your life at some point. Verse 2 is my favorite:

And you move like water,
I could drown in you.
And I fell so deep once
Till you pulled me through,
You would tell me
"No one is allowed to be so proud
They never reach out when they're giving up."

And I know it wasn't right,
But it felt so good
And your mother didn't mind
Like I thought she would.
And that R.E.M. song was playing in my mind;
Three and a half minutes,
It felt like a lifetime.

And there's one last song that I think describes how I'd like to be feeling, ideally, pretty much all the time. It's called "Dakota" and it's by the Stereophonics. I couldn't possibly do it justice here. You'll have to check it out on your own.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger trishy "told me"

The song I'm digging right now as my "life's song" is 24 by Switchfoot. It was actually the inspiration for my blog address and the subject of my second blog entry. Check it out if you haven't.

Music is such a passion of mine - sounds like that's the case for a lot of us - so it's hard to pick one or two. I feel like my life has a multi-disc soundtrack that keeps changing, but with a few that stay in the mix.

"So just answer the damn question, Trishy," you're all saying!


Two songs that stay in my mix:


Smile at Life Again by the Elms

...life ain't over, love ain't done now, so get back up in your place child...you've gotta smile at life again...there's a time for letting go. (just a snippet for you)



She's Got a Way by Billy Joel

She's got a way about her
I don't know what it is
But I know that I can't live without her
She's got a way of pleasin'
I don't know what it is
But there doesn't have to be a reason anyway
She's got a smile that heals me
I don't know why it is
But I have to laugh when she reveals me
She's got a way of talkin'
I don't know why it is
But it lifts me up when we are walkin' anywhere

She comes to me when I'm feelin' down
Inspires me without a sound
She touches me and I get turned around
She's got a way of showin'
How I make her feel
And I find the strength to keep on goin'

She's got a light around her
And ev'rywhere she goes
A million dreams of love surround her ev'rywhere



So you're probably thinking that's a cheesy addition, but that's the woman I want to be. Not the sex-kitten, not the breadwinner, not the one who wears the pants, not the perfectionist...just the woman who makes her man feel that way about her.

I think I should call myself ecclectic, too...

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Chris "told me"

Like Rob, I must admit that this is a great question, especially for someone like me who, like you, listens to music almost constantly and sort of run my life according to what is playing. I think this explains why I tend to listen to more classical, new age, and Celtic music when I'm at work because listening to Led Zeppelin and/or the Beatles while at work really sort of drives ya mad!

I've never had a favorite song. I've always had favorite songs, but I've never had just one song which I could claim as "my own," if you catch my drift. While your question is similar, but not the same, to picking ou favorite song, I must admit that picking any one song to describe myself is a rather difficult thing to do because that one song would have to be either rather involved and complex, to explain that I'm not easily definable but am a surprise buried beneath the covers (not like in The Godfather, though, heaven forbid!) - or the song would have to be casually simple and romantic to describe my overall composure. Which should it be?

It could be "Love" by John Lennon, "Galapogos" by the Smashing Pumpkins, possibly even something as bizarre like "Estranged" by Guns'n'Roses - or, given my blog's name, "Easy (Like Sunday Morning)" by the Commodores.

But, no. I'm going to go even deeper and even more "obscure."

"Detour Ahead" by the Bill Evans Trio, especially Take 2 from Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

The fact that it's a jazz tune with no lyrics is pretty overwhelmingly self-descriptive.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Huw "told me"

Myself right now? Hmmm. Well, I'd go for "Vibrate" by R.Wainright, or "You Make It Easy" by Air. Both seem befitting, and both capture much of the Huw thought process of late. Perhaps you've heard them?

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

All wonderful comments, and great songs for me to check out. I love that y'all gave me a little piece of you to ponder.

Huw--I think I've heard of them before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home