Monday, October 03, 2005

Itinerary: My D and Me 2006 (tentatively speaking)

May 2006 will mark my first overseas adventure. I will be traveling to wonderful Britland (more specifically, London) to spend time with my Darling. Because he is coming here in December, I decided that I would return the traveling favor by joining him during the spring (and, by *pure* chance, be there for my birthday!)
Because I am so excited about this adventure, and also because it's way too far away and I'm not a patient person, we have already started talking about the places we will potentially visit. And so, here are said places, for all the readers to see!**
My Darling (D) has a dear friend that lives in Swansea, so enroute from D's hometown to Friend's hometown, we'll (as Darling says) "pass some stones some careless people left lying around in the South of England." Stonehenge: now that will be surreal, but beautiful!
D made the suggestion that once we've seen Stonehenge, on
the way to see his dear friend we should stop to see the Roman baths. I'm always up for more culture!

Apparently, when we're traveling from Swansea to North Wales, we'll be going through some deserted lands. According to D, there will be few highways. He says even though Wales could probably fit inside Texas a good 20 times, this may take us the best part of two days. Eventually we'll have to cross Snowdonia, shown in this picture.
We will have to reach the Island of Anglesey, which (I hear) is "tricky" because the Menai Straits seperates it from the mainland. Fortunately for us, there is a bridge. When looking back from Anglesey, we will be able to see the Snowdonia mountains we've left behind.
Shortly after arriving in Anglesey, we are planning a visit in the town of ...wait for it...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which is quite a mouthful. According to my little researcher, it translates as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave". Apparently, my Darling has the inside scoop as to the REAL origins of the impossibly long but incredibly fun to try and say out loud name.
Has anyone seen the movie or read the book, Watership Down? I've heard the name before, but have never heard what it was about until today. Somewhat disturbing, I must say. But, because it's located somewhere D knows well, he wants us to go walking on this path, which apparently is close to the book's setting.

D and I have also discussed a possible trip to beautiful Ireland, one of the top 5 places on my "To Vist Before I Die" list. I'm not too sure what drew me to Ireland, but there has been a longing in my very soul to visit this land. Just look at how beautiful it is!And so you are now clued into my itinerary, as dictated (gladly) by D, who knows so much! I must say, I will have the best tour guide that Jolly Old London has to offer. It's just a perk that he "fancies" me as well!

<--Additionally, I would like to visit here...

...and here as well.

And there you have it. Should anyone have any further suggestions or comments, please, do feel free! As the months pass by, I shall eagerly await my overseas adventure. Despite all the beauty and culture, I find that it may not be those things that prove most significant of my time spent abroad. No, the highlight of my trip will be the company that I keep...that keeps me. Memories to be made and never forgotten.

Now, I just need to get me a passport...

**Much of the text providing histories and descriptions of above landmarks are credited to D. I only changed words like "the" or "and". I'm THAT good.

Insignificance Conveyed @ 8:21 AM   3 GabbyGabbers

3 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 6:58 AM, Blogger kate "told me"

Yay for London! And I highly recommend the Green Isle as well! I have TONS of suggestions, but I'll hold off until it's closer to tell you!

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous D "told me"

Even though I already knew.... THIS LOOKS GREAT!

One point.

Damn straight we're going over to Ireland! There's no way I'm driving all that way to Anglesey just to turn back round once we reach the sea!

Speaking of which, this is a lot of driving I've put myself down for. I hope you'll be up for the challenge of helping me out and driving on the *right* (as in proper and correct...) side of the road.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Katie - Would LOVE to hear your suggestions as the time draws near.

D - Sure.

As long as you're up for the challenge of jerking the wheel from time to time as I drift over to the "right" (literally and in the correct sense of the word) side of the road.

Sounds like an adventure, and I'm more than willing to help out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home