Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Bit of Advice

I find it amazing how other people can help you grow and serve as a catalyst to self-discovery.

I’ve never been good at “rising above it” when someone wrongs me. But, due to recent events concerning a bitter ex-boyfriend, I have had to learn to be that kind of person. I couldn’t have done it without a great deal of help, which I am very appreciative for, because if D hadn’t been there to make me see the bigger picture, I would have looked just as foolish as the source of my irritations.

I guess this is the part called “maturity” in grown-up life. I don’t know about you, but I have a knee-jerk reaction to automatically respond in the way I see fit when I am disrespected. After all, they shouldn’t get away with that!

But I realized that in past experiences, I would do anything I could to rouse a reaction out of the person with which I longed to communicate. I didn’t care if it was a reaction of anger; I just wanted to know that they were LISTENING to me. I wanted to know that I still got under their skin and that they cared enough about my presence to respond to my desperate attempts at keeping myself on their radar. Sometimes, it would work. But one particular time, it didn’t, and I was never more pissed off.

So, the secret is: If you want a childish someone who’s provoking you to react and blatantly lying about you to leave you be—don’t respond to them. And that will drive them batty for a while, until they finally get the hint that you’ve moved on, and then they do so themselves (one would hope).

I understand fully how hard this is to do, and not everyone will have an ally in their corner coaching them, calming them down and keeping things straight, as I did . But it will be most beneficial in the end to put this into practice.

I believe I am a much better person for this decision to rise above the immaturity, but could not have reached it on my own. I am thankful for the people in my life that keep me grounded, sane, and unbelievably happy!

Insignificance Conveyed @ 9:14 AM   3 GabbyGabbers

3 "Sure was sweet of you to drop in":

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jona "told me"

This is good advice, and can adapted to work on your children too! (Though it's doubtful you'll be quite as sane when your time comes to try it on them ;o))

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Lauren "told me"

wow, I've found a new blog to read! I love your "Wedding Bells and the Such" post. . .I agree with your comment in that I somehow feel like I'm reading my own thoughts in yours. . .pretty cool if I do say so myself. :)

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Me Over Here "told me"

Cool indeed. So cool, in fact, that you will now be linked!

Come back soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home